Technology and libraries in the 21st century are wedded, and this marriage is a long-lasting one. A library that recognizes how technology can improve services for its community is destined for success. No matter what technologies or services you go with, remember to plan with your users in mind.
In this module, we will explore planning for Hyperlinked Libraries. How do we plan effectively for hyperlinked services? How do we balance technolust, institutional mission and the needs of our users? How do we create libraries at Web scale with a global reach and local focus?
Things to Read
- Stephens, M. (2008). Taming technolust: Ten steps for planning in a 2.0 world.
- Stephens, M. (2013. Holding us back. In The Heart of Librarianship, page 9.
- Stephens, M. (2017). Adopt or Adapt?.
- Kelly, R. (2016). 9 Ed Tech trends to Watch in 2016
- Sullivan, M. (2019). Biggest tech trends of 2019.
- Casey, M., & Stephens, M. (2008). Measuring progress.
- Green, G. (2012). The innovative use of technology in libraries.
- McArthur, D. (2018) Will Blockchain Revolutionize Education
Things to Explore
- White, Al. (2014). Here’s The Story Behind Orkney Library’s Hilarious Twitter Account.
- Pew Internet & American Life (2013). Library services in a digital age.
- Lee, L. K. (2013). Weekend reading: LeWeb’s predictions for the next 10 years.
- Edelstein, M. (2010). How to: Evaluate your social media plan.
- LeMasney, J. (n. d.). Top ten technologies for organizations.
- Garmer, A. K. (2014). Rising to the challenge: Re-Envisioning public libraries (A report of the Aspen Institute Dialogue on Public Libraries).
- Duggan, M. (2015). Mobile Media and Social Messaging 2015.
- Pinker, S. (2010). Mind Over Mass Media.
- Stephens, M. (2011). Scanning the horizon. In The Heart of Librarianship, page 37.
- Schmidt, A. (2013). The mobile challenge. (PDF: UX The Mobile Challenge)
- Herold, B. (2015). L.A. iPad program an ongoing mess, evaluators find.
- Christchurch City Libraries Bibliofile. (2012). This is how we do it: Social media at Christchurch City Libraries.
- Stephens, M. (2017). Gifts of this hour.
- Stephens, M. (2004). Technoplans vs. technolust.
- Thennnow Australia