Technology and libraries in the 21st century are wedded, and this marriage is a long-lasting one. A library that recognizes how technology can improve services for its community is destined for success. No matter what technologies or services you go with, remember to plan with your users in mind.
In this module, we will explore planning for Hyperlinked Libraries. How do we plan effectively for hyperlinked services? How do we balance technolust, institutional mission and the needs of our users? How do we create libraries with a global reach and local focus?
Things to Read
- Stephens, M. (2008). Taming technolust: Ten steps for planning in a 2.0 world.
- Ford, A. (2018). Adulting 101
- Stephens, M. (2013. Holding us back. In The Heart of Librarianship, page 9.
- Stephens, M. (2019). “Speak of the Devil” in Wholehearted Librarianship, p. 70
- Stephens, M. (2019). “Adopt or Adapt?” in Wholehearted Librarianship, p. 34
- Sullivan, M. (2019). Biggest tech trends of 2019.
- Casey, M., & Stephens, M. (2008). Measuring progress.
- Green, G. (2012). The innovative use of technology in libraries.
- Listening Station
- Roe, M. (2019). LA Public Library’s New Makerspace.
Things to View
Things to Explore
- White, Al. (2014). Here’s The Story Behind Orkney Library’s Hilarious Twitter Account.
- Madison Public Library (2019). The Bubbler.
- Pew Internet & American Life (2013). Library services in a digital age.
- Edelstein, M. (2010). How to: Evaluate your social media plan.
- LeMasney, J. (n. d.). Top ten technologies for organizations.
- Garmer, A. K. (2014). Rising to the challenge: Re-Envisioning public libraries (A report of the Aspen Institute Dialogue on Public Libraries).
- Duggan, M. (2015). Mobile Media and Social Messaging 2015.
- Pinker, S. (2010). Mind Over Mass Media.
- Stephens, M. (2011). “Scanning the Horizon” in The Heart of Librarianship, p. 37
- Schmidt, A. (2013). The mobile challenge. (PDF: UX The Mobile Challenge)
- Herold, B. (2015). L.A. iPad program an ongoing mess, evaluators find.
- Christchurch City Libraries Bibliofile. (2012). This is how we do it: Social media at Christchurch City Libraries.
- Stephens, M. (2019). “Gifts of this hour” in Wholehearted Librarianship, p. 89
- Stephens, M. (2004). Technoplans vs. technolust.
- Thennnow Australia