Below are commonly asked questions about feeds and using them:
What is a news aggregator?
- A news aggregator is sometimes called a news feed or news reader
- Web-based software which brings syndicated content into one place for easy access.
- Many types – Feedly, Inoreader, Commafeed, etc.
Why use a news aggregator?
- Easy, organized access to information that interests you.
- Promotes professional development and life-long learning.
- Improves information literacy for you and your patrons.
What can be accessed with a news aggregator?
- Anything that has an RSS (real simple syndication) symbol.
- Podcasts, news sites, professional and social blogs.
Getting Started with Feedly
- Go to Feedly.com https://feedly.com/i/welcome
- Click “Get Started for Free” (you can use your SJSU gmail account)
- Start searching for and importing feeds
- Organize your feeds using “Collection” headings
- Digital Trends. (2016) A really simple guide to really simple syndication
- Sutherland, M. (2016) RSS feed 2.0:The crux of a social media strategy.
- Feedly tutorial blog