“We are born to learn, but somewhere along the way many of us pick up the idea that we must be taught in order to learn. We think that if someone doesn’t stand up in front of us and talk to us with either a chalkboard or PowerPoint slides, we cannot learn. We must regain our sense of wonder and our desire to learn.” — R.Tennant, “Strategies for Keeping Current,” Library Journal, 9/15/2003, p.28. This sentiment still holds true!
This module explores professional learning experiences for librarians and highlights some research on Learning 2.o, 23 Mobile Things, the #hyperlib MOOC, and more.
Things to Read
- Stephens, M. (2014). YLibrary: …Infinite learning
- Stephens, M. (2019). “PLEs & ALA” in Wholehearted Librarianship, p. 55
- Stephens, M. (2019). “Personal, Actionable, Accessible” in Wholehearted Librarianship, p. 44
- Stephens, M. (2016). “Learning to Learn” in The Heart of Librarianship, p. 140
- Stephens, M. (2019). “What’s Next” in Wholehearted Librarianship, p. 53
- Stephens, M. (2019). “Formula for Success” in Wholehearted Librarianship, p. 30
- Stephens, M. (2016). “Lessons from Learning 2.0” in The Heart of Librarianship, p. 134
- Stephens, M. (2021). “The Strategic, Curious & Skeptical Learner”
- Pewhairangi, S. (2016). Library as a Classroom for Library Staff.
- Simon, K. (2020). “Emotional Labor, Stressors, and Librarians Who Work with the Public”
Things to View
- Lego Foundation. (2016). What do we Mean by Learning Through Play?
Things to Explore
- Stephens, M. (2019). Technology, Collaboration, and Learning: Perceptions and Preferences of US Public Library Staff Professional Development USPDStudyArticle
- Blowers, H. (2006). About the Learning 2.0 project.
- UEA Library Show & Tell
- Mears, J. (2016). Digital curation and the public: Strategies for education and advocacy.
- Stephens, M., & Cheetham, W. (2012). The impact and benefits of learning 2.0 programs in Australian public libraries.
- USC Annenberg. (2013). Create circulate connect collaborate.
- Lawley, E. (2013). Gameful design for libraries.
- Chamorro-Premuzic, T. (2015). How your personality determines how you learn.
- Rudai 23 (n.d.). A 23 Things Collaboration from Ireland.
- Stephens, M. (2016). The_research_journey
- Wolff, C. (2017). U.S. Library Survey 2016. doi:10.18665/sr.303066
- 23 Framework Things (2017).
- 23mobilethings (2013).
- 23 Things for Professional Develpment (2013).
- 23 Things Oxford: About 23 Things (2009).
- Alcock, J. & Tumelty, N. (2013) Supercharging your CPD with CPD23
- Bowers, H. (2009).WJ Hosts 23 Summit
- Bowers, H. (2017). 23 Things – 10 Years Later
- Jenkins. H. (2012). Confessions of an ACA-Fan
- Heick, T. (n.d.) Characteristics of a Critical Thinking Classroom