IN OUR TECHNOLOGY-DRIVEN world, libraries need to take a lead- ership role in changing learning environments. “Learning in the warehouse”—that solitary library activity of finding a needed book and reading it quietly—has given way to collaborative spaces that facilitate lifelong learning and help our communities develop literacies that are necessary for successful functioning in today’s society. Emerging technologies can change our library services and library learning. We can enhance place-based services as well as mobile opportunities for learning, reaching our patrons wherever they are. We can do this with courses too, freeing up time to build more ac- tive learning experiences. (The Heart of Librarianship, Page 118.)
Things to Read
- Lauersen, C. (2020). Learning, culture, community and diversity: New library strategy for Roskilde Libraries 2020
- Stephens, M. (2014). YLibrary: …Infinite learning
- Stephens, M. (2012). Learning everywhere. In The Heart of Librarianship, page 123
- Stephens, M. (2016). Download the PDF here: LibraryEmoji
- Public Libraries Connect. (2018). SL Blogs – Sensory Spaces
- Doctorow, C. (2013). Libraries and makerspaces: a match made in heaven
- Greenwalt, R. T. (2013). Embracing the long game
- Williams, M. R. (2014). Kansas teen uses 3-D printer to make hand for boy
- Digital Promise. (2016). Chicago Public Library: The Library as a Gateway to 21st Century Skills
Things to View
- Sensory Space at Marsden Library. (2018). Sensory Spaces
- Aarhus DOKK1 (2016). Creative learning, making and coding at DOKK1
- White Plains Public Library Teens (2016). What is 3D Printing?
- White Plains Public Library Teens (2015). Hour of Code
Things to Explore
- Fountaindale PL. Studio 300
- Pew Internet & American Life (2016). Adults with tech-access tools are more likely to be lifelong learners and rely on the internet to pursue knowledge.
- DC Public Library. Memory Lab (Currently in transition)
- Library as incubator project. (n. d.). Author archive.
- Maggio, L., Saltarelli, A., & Stranack, K. (2016). Crowdsourcing the curriculum: A MOOC for personalized, connected learning.
- McCrea, B. (2012). The library as a digital learning space.
- Kansas City Public Libraries. (2015). IMLS Focus: Learning in Libraries.
- European Commission. (2020). DigComp at Work
- Dowdy, C. (2022). What the Nordics can teach us about having fun