This one popped up in early summer 2018 here in Michigan. What do you think?
CLASSIFICATION: Librarian (ET. – 40 hours)
POSITION TITLE: Creative Services Librarian
REPORTS TO: Adult Services and Reference, Department Head
POSITION SUMMARY: The Creative Services Librarian manages, develops and delivers innovative programming in a creative environment. Utilizes hands-on training and collaboration with guests of all ages and community organizations which may include STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics) content, adult programming, and community programming. This librarian has the ability to inspire imagination, draw out potential, and create a gathering place for the community. This position requires a bold individual who demonstrates curiosity, follow through, the ability to identify priorities and shift focus quickly, flexibility, collaboration, and excellent communication skills, while working in an environment rich with diversity.
This is a new position and requires the individual selected to plan, develop, and create the implementation plan for the Creative Space including purchasing equipment and engaging staff and the community to design the space. It requires 2-3 nights per week, as well as frequent weekend programming to meet community needs.
ILLUSTRATION OF KEY DUTIES
- Gauges level of service based on community interest and need and provides relevant and meaningful services and programs to residents.
- Remains current on Creative Space technology and trends.
- Develops, plans, and implements programs with a focus on emerging technologies for children, teens, adults, and intergenerational audiences that could be presented in or outside the Library that are responsive to community needs while sparking interest, curiosity, and fun, inspiring guests to embrace their interests and ignite their creativity.
- Seeks out and engages with community groups to promote and plan creative services and events utilizing written, oral, video, web, and social media communication.
- Manages projects and timelines for the Creative Space Team including the preparation of a calendar of events and programming activities.
- Oversees the Creative Space and creative programming. Provides and schedules instruction and programming, coordinates efforts with other staff and departments. Maintains equipment and software for the Creative Space.
- Oversees Creative Space and Programming budgets for the Library. Supports staff with purchasing and makes recommendations for service, equipment, furnishings, software, collections for the Creative Space.
- Instructs staff and the general public based on programming, tools, technology and activities in the Creative space (examples could include: 3D modeling, electronics & programming, wood working, video and photo creation and editing, and art).
- Gathers and analyzes statistics, writes reports on departmental activities, and develops goals in support of the creative space and library strategic plan.
- Demonstrates flexibility to change direction/ priorities based on community need.
- Provides input on policy and procedure for Creative Space.
- Works on the public service desks providing customer service, which can include electronic reference.
- Performs other job-related duties and projects as assigned.
STARTING SALARY: $48,972
HOURS: 2-3 evenings per week, some weekends required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Related degrees preferred (e.g., education, educational technology, library science).
- Demonstrated experience and interest in creative programming/spaces.
- Has the ability to listen to and engage their community to draw out needs and interests. Finds joy in serving the public.
- Excellent communication skills, demonstrates a “whatever-it-takes” work ethic, and models an excellent customer service attitude.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish or Burmese Chin is a plus in serving our diverse community.
- SirsiDynix experience is a plus!
START DATE: June/July 2018
APPLICATION DATES: Preference will be given to applications received by Friday, June 11, 2018