“We shape our own future, but we cannot do that if we sit back and simply watch. The library that is flexible, listens to its community, and changes to meet changing demand and demographics will be the library that succeeds, prospers, and pushes its mission out to the most citizens” (Casey & Savastinuk, 2007).
How will new and established technologies further impact library service? What should librarians make of virtual assistants, smart homes, artificial intelligence, and more? This module explores the changing information landscape and offers a chance to see what academics and librarians see on the horizon.
Things to Read
- Stephens, M. (2019). “Flash Briefing” in Wholehearted Librarianship, p. 87
- Griffey, J. (2019). AI and machine learning.
- Terdiman, D. (2018). Here’s How People Say Google Home and Alexa Impact Their Lives
- Kelly, S. (2018). Growing up with Alexa: A child’s relationship with Amazon’s voice assistant
- Halliday, A. (2015). The Prado Museum Creates the First Art Exhibition for the Visually Impaired, Using 3D Printing.
- International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA) (2016). IFLA Trends Report.
- McArthur, D. (2018) Will Blockchain Revolutionize Education
- OCLC (2015). Libraries and the Internet of Things.
- McShane, M. (2018). Is Virtual Reality the Future of Field Trips?
- Borowica, W. (2014). Why the Internet of Things narrative has to change.
- Paraschiv, P. (2017). Creating a voice for the library: storytelling, experience, and play.
- Hadzilacos, R. (2020). How to harness the top 10 emerging tech of 2020 for good.
Things to View
Things to Explore
- New Media Consortium. (2017). NMC Horizon Report > 2017 Higher Education Edition.
- New Media Consortium. (2017). NMC Horizon Report > 2017 Library Edition. (Note – this is the most recent library edition)
- New Media Consortium. (2016). NMC Horizon Report > 2016 Higher Education Edition.
- New Media Consortium. (2015). NMC Horizon Report > 2015 Higher Education Edition.
- New Media Consortium. (2015) NMC Horizon Report > 2015 Library Edition.
- New Media Consortium. (2014). NMC Horizon Report > 2014 Library Edition.
- Raine, L. (2016). Puzzles Librarians need to Solve.
- Raine, L. (2014). The Internet of Things and what it mean for librarians.