How do we find balance? How do we make good decisions? Reflective practice is mindfulness to the nth degree. Be thoughtful about the decisions you make, about the projects you take on, and about how you put yourself out there in the online world. It might be what you present at a conference or what you write on a blog or in an article. Those things become part of your practice as well.
How did you come to be where you are in the field? What decisions did you make? If you found your way to this profession, you’re looking to help people be the best they possibly can be. We are the heart of our communities and that only works because the people who run libraries give of themselves. They do it knowing that there will be hard days and disappointment, budget fights, and individuals whom they may not be able to reach. The best librarians make that emotional investment because they believe in the institution and the communities they serve.
[@earthbound_madness]. (2021, October 5). Posts [Instagram profile]. Instagram. Retrieved February 7, 2022, from https://www.instagram.com/earthbound_madness/
Things to Read
- Stephens, M. (2019). A Wholehearted Approach To Service…And Burnout….Or Soft Skills Are Heart Skills.
- Stephens, M. (2019) “Librarian Superpowers” in Wholehearted Librarianship, p. 32
- Stephens, M. (2018). Librarian Superpowers Activate!
- Stephens. M. (2018). Champion of Confidence
- Stephens, M. (2019) “Talk About Compassion” in Wholehearted Librarianship, p. 39 StephensWholeheartedDozer *
- Stephens, M. (2016). “Always Doesn’t Live Here Anymore” in The Heart of Librarianship, p. 12
- Stephens, M. (2016). “Reflective Practice” in The Heart of Librarianship, p. 25
- Stephens, M. (2016). “What’s Your Pitch” in The Heart of Librarianship, p. 31
- Cheetham, W, & Hoenke, J. (2013). Making mistakes in our daily work: A TTW conversation between Warren Cheetham and Justin Hoenke.
- Clausen, K. (2012). The importance of professionalism
- Corkindale, G. (2011). The importance of kindness at work.
- Gershon, L. (2017). The future is emotional.
- Thompson, M. (2020). The 5 Key Traits of Socially Intelligent People.
- Lauersen, C. (2021). The Public Library is the Haven Where We can Rediscover the Ability to Immerse
- Brower, T. (2021). Empathy is the Most Important Leadership Skill According to Research
Things to Explore
- Klerk, J., & Stephens, M. (2010). Open conversation: Being human.
- Frierson, E. (2011). Leading with heart.
- Stephens, M. (2019). “Hygge State of Mind” in Wholehearted Librarianship, p. 63
- Davis, K. (2018). Social media tips for professionals.
- Grant, C. A., & Zeichner, K. M. (2001). On becoming a reflective teacher.
- Cep, C. N. (2014). The pointlessness of unplugging.
- Anonymous, (2016). Who would be a librarian now? You know what, I’ll have a go.
- Sandlian Smith, P. (2017). What are you thinking? #2.
- Awareness Act. (nd). 13 Traits of People With True Integrity.
- Thompson, M. (2020). The 5 Key Traits of Socially Intelligent People
- Shalett, L. & Zandan, N. (2020). What Inclusive Leaders Sound Like
- Herrick Juarez, A. (2021). Trauma Informed Service with Bryce Kozla
*Sadly, our Labrador Retriever Cooper passed in April 2019. He and Dozer were the best of buddies.