Kathleen Green

• Hi Mary Joy,

Thank you for your response. I’m glad to hear about a personal experience about the improvements that going fine-free has done. I agree that it boils down to the concept of transparency that we have been focusing on this week. I really like what you said about “if librarians and their patrons are keeping secrets from each other,…[Read more]

• Kathleen Green wrote a new post on the site Surfing the Web 5 days, 2 hours ago

Assignment X: Fine-Free Libraries the Way of the Future Library Fines and Fees have been a standard practice for libraries. The fines were created to promote a behavior which encouraged timely […]

• Hi, Kathleen!

I can attest to the positive impact of reducing/eliminating library fines. This year, I’ve essentially done away with the system entirely for my students after noticing how much stress it was causing them. It also impeded our communication — students would avoid me because they were afraid of telling me what happened to their book! Now, if a book is lost, I notify the parents that their student thinks the book is permanently gone, and if they’d like to donate an equal amount to the library to replace the book or provide a new copy of the missing or damaged title, it would be appreciated, but not necessary. This is especially important knowing that families in our community may not be able to afford to replace a book — and I have never hesitated to waive a fee when this was the case, even in previous years. I have rearranged my library budget to account for potential losses (though I can’t say it amounts to quite as much as $300,000!). I think it really boils down to the concept of transparency that we’ve explored this week; if librarians and their patrons are keeping secrets from each other, then as far as I’m concerned we’re actively working against each other.

Thank you for your post!

• Hi Mary Joy,

Thank you for your response. I’m glad to hear about a personal experience about the improvements that going fine-free has done. I agree that it boils down to the concept of transparency that we have been focusing on this week. I really like what you said about “if librarians and their patrons are keeping secrets from each other, then as far as I’m concerned we’re actively working against each other.” I think that is very true

• Kathleen Green wrote a new post on the site Surfing the Web 3 weeks, 1 day ago

Greetings and Salutations Hi everybody, I’m a born and raised bay area kid living in the tri-valley area. I’m in my last semester of the MLIS program and I am both […]

• @kmg333 Maggie is beautiful!

I did a film, minor in my undergrad, and so appreciate good discussion about film. I’ve been trying to watch as many of the best picture nominees as I can. Also, a big fan of really well-done creepy movies and there aren’t that many of those and film noir.

Welcome to #hyperlib!

• Hi Kathleen,

When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do as a second career I also contemplated teaching before deciding on pursuing the MLIS degree. I think I may also have issues with classroom management (haha) and I don’t know if I have to patience to be a teacher.

-Laurel

• Kathleen Green changed their profile picture 3 weeks, 3 days ago

• Kathleen Green became a registered member 3 weeks, 3 days ago