Jeanna

• #hyperlib Virtual SymposiumMy journey through INFO 287. Click here to view.

• I wonder too if many of us were never really taught these skills, so the idea of “you just figure it out” makes more sense to us — GenX is notorious for having been ignored as kids, and then we’re notorious for doing everything for them to bulldoze the path. As the world’s gotten infinitely more complicated, so too do the processes around…[Read more]

• Jeanna changed their profile picture 1 weeks, 3 days ago

• Love the very 80’s design.

This has appeal to a large swath of the population. A lot of boomers are still storing so much physical media, but once they move to smaller homes and assisted living, it all has to go, leaving their kids and grandkids with acres of family memories and nowhere to put it. Even Gen X still has a project digitizing the…[Read more]

• Jeanna commented on the post, The Power of Questions, on the site 1 weeks, 5 days ago

I love the idea of giving prompts like this to parents or grandparents — getting the ball rolling, especially if you have a talkative one who wants to share, but even if you have reticent ones who may still want to be seen. Imagine collecting all your aunts and uncles stories together to pass to their grandchildren before they start to pass or…[Read more]

• Similarly, I really like the idea of the library expanding beyond the one building. Bookmobiles are great, but limited. With the electronic check-out, it would be awesome to have book vending machines in public places. Insert library card, out pops book. Put them in hospital waiting rooms, the DMV, public parks…

• Perhaps one way to look at it is in how we learn things on our own. If I want to casually learn to code, what would I do? Definitely coding games. If I want to learn Photoshop, it’s because I want to edit my personal photos or make things to post online. If I want to learn more about a historical period, I’m probably going to watch a documentary…[Read more]

• Jeanna commented on the post, Inspiration Report: Makerspaces, on the site 2 weeks, 5 days ago

Wow — thank you so much! I really struggled with the graphic presentation but after a couple false starts, I finally found something that worked. Good luck with yours!

• That’s really special. Thank you so much for sharing. My husband is autistic/ADHD and yes, even for adults the whole experience can be just too much; that room at the back to go have the meltdown and then come back is a GAME CHANGER.

• Reflection Blogging: Infinite Learning One of the biggest complaints about the “new” public education system is that it is so focused on tests — the taking of tests, the […]

• I think the library is a valuable part of the modern world since you can learn all sorts of new things and you are right it’s a safe place people can learn what they wouldn’t in school. However I don’t believe we should offload so much of our work towards the library, instead we need to push for schools to be a better educational setting too. It shouldn’t always be at risk to lose creative learning environments. Play is an important part of learning as you say, so it needs to remain in schools to a certain degree. I’ve never learned that well if I didn’t have fun, but this comes in many different ways. I just don’t think we should give up on schools having fun.

• @jeanna so much goodness here, but I’m gonna focus in on the last little bit about library services under one roof. My thought would be to expand the library into that storefront and anywhere else. The library might find some space such as the farmers market or the community center or anything in between. This is a good way to think about service and the library’s place in the community.

• What a great idea! It reminds me of the agent/editor speed dating rounds at author conferences.

• Inspiration Report: MakerspacesCommunity creation labs in public libraries are commonplace worldwide, yet none of the libraries in Placer County have adopted the […]

• Jeanna,
      I just perused your inspiration report. You did such a great job! Thank you for providing us all with a great example. I appreciated how well thought out your plan was, even down to factoring in liability issues and providing solutions.
      I really appreciated this sentiment, “As computers and cell phones
      make much of the library’s historical purpose obsolete, we can ensure our
      continued relevance by providing opportunities that other organizations cannot.” I think this is exactly what this course is all about–in order for public libraries to survive, they must evolve, adapt, and be linked with the community.
      Good job! I enjoyed reading this.
      -Emily

• Wow — thank you so much! I really struggled with the graphic presentation but after a couple false starts, I finally found something that worked. Good luck with yours!

• Hi, Jeanna! I’m in complete agreement with @emmizo– your report is extremely thorough and engaging both visually and in its content. The Battle Bots link was so cool (I love how reactive the crowd was!) and a great way to illustrate just how fun and creative your proposal could be for library patrons. Excellent work!

• There have been a few books over the last years about Roosevelt’s Kentucky Pack Horse Library Project, including Kim Michele Richardson’s “The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek” & its sequel, “The Book Woman’s Daughter,” as well as Jojo Moyes’s “The Giver of Stars.”

• Jeanna commented on the post, Stories of the Invisible, on the site 4 weeks, 1 days ago

Oh, the prison commissioner comment rings very true. I know people who have worked in prisons for their entire careers (including one who was the social worker leading therapy groups) who have never once expressed any semblance of compassion or care for the men in their custody. I love that this could open eyes to the real humans they work with every day.

• Jeanna commented on the post, Mending Circles at the Library!, on the site 1 months ago

I read recently about a University library that was holding a similar event. What a neat idea! It’s such a valuable but entirely underrated skill.

• Jeanna wrote a new post on the site We're all stories, in the end 1 months ago

Reflection Blogging: The Power of Stories I am fascinated by the Living Book projects, but I wonder if it would be possible to take it one step further – if the people who had good e […]

• @jeanna Oh my! I need to know more about the emoji language the 20 somethings have… I am way out of there loop as a late-50’s something!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the human library. I do believe there is some training involved in the formalized human library programs for the “library books” to be aware of how people might talk to them.

• Reflection Blogging: New Models I am fascinated by the world of hygge in its coziest form: the fuzzy socks and blankets, the sweaters and candles, the faux fur and the […]

• I absolutely loved this journey you took us on through different cozy library-themed bars and actual cozy libraries across the country. I live in Sacramento, so I could investigate the books to see if they are functional or just chosen for aesthetics! I have had the chance to sneak into The Reading Room in New York. I don’t know if I would call it cozy. It was a tad intimidating.
      Thanks again!

• Hygge!! Love it too. Those pictures just suck you right in. I’ve been to the Library Bar and have heard of the Bourbon and Branch (went to a speakeasy in SF too but it was called The Vault, an old bank)! What a fun and inventive idea for this post. We have a bookstore/restaurant in Santa Cruz called Bad Animal that I was so excited about until I ate there and the waiter was snarky and lame. The book guy was really excited about the reference in the title though…which I can’t remember of course.
      Your writing is easy to read and very entertaining!

• @jeanna I was super thrilled to learn about all the various permutations of the concept of the library bar. I am in for a nice glass of red anytime I happen upon one of these places. You share some very interesting ideas as well about what this means for libraries and welcoming people into our spaces. Cheers.

• Jeanna commented on the post, The Traveling Librarian, on the site 1 months, 2 weeks ago

Hi Laura,

Love love LOVE this. I’m doing study abroad this summer (14 days, 28 GLAM organizations) for this exact reason.

The first time I went to Paris, I lived on pain au jambon — ham sandwiches — the whole time. Food in Paris is so much better when you have both a more mature palatte and money, so yes — get the escargot and the…[Read more]

• Innovation Strategy & Roadmap: Technology PlaygroundPlacer County Library, Rocklin branch, shall introduce a new “technology playground” as well as accompanying fortnightly “Connecting with […]

• Jeanna commented on the post, From Twitter – Idaho Libraries, on the site 1 months, 3 weeks ago

And yes, I’m being fecetious, but this is the mindset.

• Load More