Innovation Strategy and Roadmap: Hosting a Reverse Career Fair!

Innovation Strategy & Roadmap

Hosting a Reverse Career Fair

In my 7 years of working at a high school, I have found that students often struggle to find gainful employment. Either, they aren’t sure where to look – or employers are hesitant to employ teens due to stigma or policy. Because I work with teens every day, I am aware of their potential and unbothered by their green hair, piercings, and ripped jeans. In fact, I embrace their many oddities and quirks, and their ever-evolving fashion. However, stigma toward teens prevents them from being hired – even when they are bright, capable, and have a solid work ethic. On the flip side, I am tired of hearing local employers stating that “nobody wants to work anymore”…when I regularly have capable teens coming to me and asking for help with employment!

With these considerations in mind, I think our community needs the opportunity to break down walls and network! The Reverse Career Fair is intended to bring adults and teens together in our community for fruitful employment, internships, and/or college-going opportunities. Teens need the ability to showcase themselves as assets, rather than being viewed as a detriment due to stigma. In my experience, young workers are more flexible, creative, and willing to grow and learn!

Check out my presentation below to learn more about the Reverse Career Fair.

CANVA VIDEO LINK
Click through the presentation. Each slide is narrated! 

PDF – DOWNLOAD SLIDES HERE

You may also like...

2 Responses

1. Jeanna says:

What a great idea! It reminds me of the agent/editor speed dating rounds at author conferences.

• @jeanna Thank you! I’m glad you like the idea! I was also reminded of a sort of “speed dating” format that we’ve used with networking before in clubs that I advise. It’s such a help to the kids’ confidence to feel equal to those they are interacting with.