Inspiration Report: Makerspaces

Community creation labs in public libraries are commonplace worldwide, yet none of the libraries in Placer County have adopted the trend. This report discusses makerspaces, their history, the process of adoption, and the challenges inherent in doing so. By coordinating with community and staff from the start, the library can ensure engagement across all age levels & bring new patrons into the space. Adapting in this way prepares patrons for the skills they will need in the future.

Click here to view.

This entry was posted in INFO 287. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Inspiration Report: Makerspaces

1. Jeanna,
    I just perused your inspiration report. You did such a great job! Thank you for providing us all with a great example. I appreciated how well thought out your plan was, even down to factoring in liability issues and providing solutions.
    I really appreciated this sentiment, “As computers and cell phones
    make much of the library’s historical purpose obsolete, we can ensure our
    continued relevance by providing opportunities that other organizations cannot.” I think this is exactly what this course is all about–in order for public libraries to survive, they must evolve, adapt, and be linked with the community.
    Good job! I enjoyed reading this.
    -Emily

• Jeanna says:

Wow — thank you so much! I really struggled with the graphic presentation but after a couple false starts, I finally found something that worked. Good luck with yours!

2. Hi, Jeanna! I’m in complete agreement with @emmizo– your report is extremely thorough and engaging both visually and in its content. The Battle Bots link was so cool (I love how reactive the crowd was!) and a great way to illustrate just how fun and creative your proposal could be for library patrons. Excellent work!

3. Ciera says:

Jeanna,
    Thank you for treating and sharing this fantastic report!! You expertly and clearly breakdown the trendy term of “maker’s space” and define the true diversity of creative endeavors that Placer County Library system could (and should!) adopt. I especially appreciated learning about global makers spaces.

4. Jeanna says:

Thanks all for the encouraging remarks! Good luck with the end of the semester!