Erika

• Erika's profile was updated 1 months, 3 weeks ago

• Erika commented on the post, From Twitter – Idaho Libraries, on the site 1 months, 4 weeks ago

I lived in a small town in Idaho for 3 years while getting my bachelor’s, and my children experienced the most racism and bullying of any place we’ve ever lived. The local library was the most inclusive and welcoming place for my family and I wish more people in that town would have learned something from it. (For reference, the elementary school…[Read more]

• Erika commented on the post, Fluid Dates, on the site 1 months, 4 weeks ago

Wow! Thank you so much for this! @michael

• Reflection on Hyperlinked Communities One topic this week that has been on my mind is human curation versus digital curation through algorithms. As someone who has been on […]

• @erikabn Oh wow – what an interesting idea about ChatGPT. Totally agree, AI is not gpoing to chat with you after finishing a book! I tried though…see next comment!

• ChatGPT
      If you’re a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction like “The Stand” by Stephen King and “Station Eleven” by Emily St. John Mandel, you might enjoy these books that explore similar themes of survival, society collapse, and the human condition:

“The Road” by Cormac McCarthy – A father and son journey through a post-apocalyptic landscape, struggling to survive while maintaining their humanity.
      “Oryx and Crake” by Margaret Atwood – Set in a future world devastated by biotechnological catastrophes, this novel follows Snowman, possibly the last human on Earth, as he reflects on his past and the events leading to the downfall of civilization.
      “The Passage” by Justin Cronin – A gripping story that spans generations, following the aftermath of a government experiment gone wrong, which leads to the rise of vampire-like creatures and the struggle for survival.
      “World War Z” by Max Brooks – A unique take on the zombie apocalypse genre, this book is structured as a series of interviews with survivors of a global zombie outbreak, providing a global perspective on the crisis.
      “The Dog Stars” by Peter Heller – In a world decimated by a flu pandemic and societal collapse, a man and his dog navigate the wilderness and encounter both danger and unexpected hope.
      “The Stand” (graphic novel) by Stephen King, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, and Mike Perkins – A graphic adaptation of Stephen King’s classic novel, offering a visually stunning portrayal of the epic battle between good and evil after a deadly pandemic wipes out most of humanity.
      “Parable of the Sower” by Octavia E. Butler – Set in a near-future America ravaged by climate change, economic collapse, and societal breakdown, a young woman with hyperempathy syndrome sets out on a perilous journey to find safety and build a new community.
      “Alas, Babylon” by Pat Frank – A Cold War-era novel that imagines the aftermath of a nuclear war in a small Florida town, focusing on the struggles of a community to rebuild civilization amidst chaos and devastation.
      “Good Morning, Midnight” by Lily Brooks-Dalton – In the aftermath of a global catastrophe, an astronomer in the Arctic and an astronaut returning from a mission in space grapple with isolation and existential questions as they confront the end of the world as they know it.
      “The Last Policeman” by Ben H. Winters – Against the backdrop of an impending asteroid collision that will likely end life on Earth, a young police detective in New Hampshire investigates a suicide that may not be what it seems, grappling with questions of justice and purpose in a dying world.

My prompt for the above: User
      Suggest a book list for fans of The Stand and Station Eleven

• Hi @erikabn

Nice to see you in another class. Thank you for your lovely post about human curation being superior to those offered by technology and ChatGPT. I totally agree. When I read a good book, or watch a great movie, my first inclination is to discuss it with others, and get their take on it. I haven’t tried to pick ChatGPT’s brain about a book I’ve read, but in general I find ChatGPT to provide canned, and superificial type responses to requests. I adored the story of your middle school students giving you their own lists of recommended books. So heartwarming!

• How Participatory Service Helps Increase Inclusivity in Libraries Libraries are for everyone, but do all libraries provide spaces where everyone can feel comfortable and welcome?   The answer to this q […]

• Erika commented on the post, Please Watch, on the site 2 months, 1 weeks ago

Mychal is my favorite! He is going to be a guest on Ms. Rachel’s YouTube show later this month and my younger kids can’t wait to see the episode.

• Intro Post My name is Erika and this is my 2nd year (4th semester) in the MLIS program. I am a mother of 4 boys, ages 9, 8, 4, and 2. I’m a […]

• @erikabn That is a great picture! Thanks for sharing a glimpse into your life. During the pandemic, I helped out friends by babysitting with their two–year-old. I learned a lot and he was a handful. I can imagine four boys would really be a handful. 😀

Welcome to #hyperlib!

• Hi Erika,

I am also a stay-at-home mom of an 8 and 5 year old. You are amazing to be doing school four little ones! It can be very tough at times!

Nice to meet you. I look forward to getting to know you in the furture.

-Laurel

• Erika's profile was updated 3 months ago

• Erika posted an update in the group Group logo of Break the Ice: Binge-WorthyBreak the Ice: Binge-Worthy 3 months ago

I’ve been binge-reading the Spy X Family books recently. I’ve never read manga before these but I really enjoy them. As for shows, I have recently started binge-watching Young Sheldon and Community.

• Hello everyone. Here is the link to my blog https://287.hyperlib.sjsu.edu/erikabnmlis/

• Erika changed their profile picture 3 months ago

• Erika became a registered member 3 months ago