Tech and Trends
Create an examination of an emerging technology or participatory trend of your choice. Your brief may be designed to introduce a new technology to your library director, or to suggest enhancements to a participatory service already in place at your library. Note: for this assignment, please do not focus on a specific vendor product.
Need inspiration? Take a look at the following selected articles but feel free to select a topic not include here as well.
- A Day in the Life of an Anythink Library
- NYPL Map Warper
- Baltimore County Public Library
- Teen HQ San Jose Public Library
- Casden, J., Nutt, M., Lown, C., & Davidson, B. (2013). My #HuntLibrary: Using Instagram to crowdsource the story of a new library.
- McDonnell, A. & Mollet, A. (2014). Five ways libraries are using Instagram to share collections and draw public interest
- Oak Park Public Library (2017). Idea Box
- Putnam, L. (2016). How Libraries Are Curating Current Events, Becoming Community Debate Hubs
- Staffer, C. (2016). Sweating in the Stacks.
- Burnett, L. (2011). Save the Troy Library “Adventures in reverse psychology”
- Los Angeles Public Library. (2015). IMLS Focus: Engaging Communities.
- Rey, Daniel. (2018). How Seattle’s public library is stepping up to deal with the city’s homelessness crisis.
- Hood, G. (2014). 5 Ways Colorado Libraries Are Going Beyond Books.
School and Academic Libraries
- Loertscher, D., & Kompar, F. (2018). LIIITES Model on school library commons.
- Stone, A. (2013). 12 Technologies that will reshape school libraries.
- Hamilton, B. (2012) Makerspaces, participatory learning, and libraries – the unquiet librarian.
- Lauersen, C. (2016). Towards rubicon: The academic library and the importance of making a choice.
- CUNY Academic Commons. (n.d.)
- Hunt Library NCSU
Galleries, Archives, and Museums
- Cleveland Museum of Art (n.d.). ArtLens Wall
- Mansky, J. (2018). Play Wall Art Like an Instrument
- Snyder, S. (2018.) Virtual Visits
- Doljenkova, V., Tung, G. (2015). Beacon Technology in Museums
- Simmons, M. (2014). Innovative Museums for Kids
- San Diego Museum of Art (2019). The SDMA app – Enhance your museum experience