Cassie Casillas

• Cassie Casillas wrote a new post on the site Grimaries' Grimoire 1 weeks ago

Reflection Blog: New Models The article about the futuristic library opening in the Bronx stood out to me. While the idea of distinct “children-, teen-, and young a Continue reading

• Hi Cassie,
      I was thinking about the heat and cold from walls of windows as well. I love to have open windows that let in light but direct sunlight could make rooms uncomfortably hot and the reverse in winter time, the lack of insulation could make the rooms cooler than necessary. I also wonder about what damage direct sunlight could do to a library’s collection.
      Like you I think a lot about form versus function. Bad user design for the sake of aesthetic really annoys me. For example there is a nice park just outside my neighborhood that has no sidewalks to reach it from the neighborhood.

• Cassie – I agree with your thought about balancing services for all – housed and unhoused etc. This bit from Agresta resonates:

However, public libraries have long served a progressive, interventionist agenda, putting knowledge directly into the hands of the poor, the immigrant, and those historically excluded from certain educational institutions. If no better resources can be cobbled together, isn’t it against the spirit of the library to turn away a person in need? It remains to be seen how this commitment will affect middle-class willingness to fund public libraries.

Written in 2014 it’s very interesting to think what it looks like now in 2024 as libraries moved toward a more wholistic and human services (many times with partnerships or social workers on staff) approach.

• Innovation Strategy and Roadmap: SMPL's Space for TeensWhile Santa Monica Public Library continues to grow and innovate, the services offered to teens seem to be stagnant. Compared to recent advances in Continue reading

• I especially appreciate the fact that they are able to keep the phones afterwards, provided they can afford it, because my immediate concern when presented with the concept was the potential loss of personal files if this was something they were expected to return to the library for other patrons to use.

• My library also has some less than compassionate rules around loitering after closing and I agree that these kinds of policies go against the spirit of public libraries. I think creating policies that find a balance for fairness should be a high priority.

• There’s definitely a lot of potential challenges. I think one of the biggest limitations for these kinds of things is the funding it requires. But I hope as these services become more popular they also become more accessible to libraries and patrons alike.

• Reflection Blog: Hyperlinked Environments In this module, I found the topics of mobile environments, international libraries, and Covid-19 particularly interesting and relevant to Continue reading

• Great blog. Your post made me also consider potential challenges or limitations of these new technologies and services. For example, it made me think about what some potential drawbacks to having wifi-enabled benches or cell phone lending would be.

• There’s definitely a lot of potential challenges. I think one of the biggest limitations for these kinds of things is the funding it requires. But I hope as these services become more popular they also become more accessible to libraries and patrons alike.

• Cassie, I appreciated your consideration of how the 1-hour limit on your library computers seems to stand in opposition to other libraries embracing a faster pace of technology innovation. It reminds me of my own library, which turns off building wi-fi after closing so that people are not encouraged to “loiter” around the library. In our case, I think the policy is oriented around a safety perspective. I imagine your library’s policy is about equalizing use, so that everyone has a chance to hop on the computers. But, in both cases, it feels like the policies are a bit rigid and go against a broader spirit of making the library a welcoming, safe place for folks to hang out.

• My library also has some less than compassionate rules around loitering after closing and I agree that these kinds of policies go against the spirit of public libraries. I think creating policies that find a balance for fairness should be a high priority.

• @grimaries The cell phone lending programs are so amazing to me. I love the idea of getting such a ubiquitous device into the heads of folks who need them for various access and life needs.

• I especially appreciate the fact that they are able to keep the phones afterwards, provided they can afford it, because my immediate concern when presented with the concept was the potential loss of personal files if this was something they were expected to return to the library for other patrons to use.

• Reflection Blog: Hyperlinked Communities Many of the topics in this module lead me back to how libraries build community and welcome people. Much of my ideas about library service are Continue reading

• After taking teen services last fall, I really appreciated reading your post and how hyperlinked communities impact this age group in particular. You made me think what you meant by fight for compassion” as a driving force behind library services, and how I see compassion manifesting in my work as a librarian.

• Thank you for this reflection! It was timely for me to read. I brought my teen into our local library’s teen space for the first time last week, and she ultimately felt uncomfortable there even though we were so excited to visit. I’ve been reflecting on it since. There were many “right ingredients” in the space, but something wasn’t clicking overall. It was SO quiet. No one spoke to her, but they watched her. She’s shy about her reading choices (so the quiet + watching her was eeek). It was a challenge to browse by genre. We will work on articulating the experience so we can share feedback so they’re aware of some of the feelings and fears teens may have while browsing.

• @grimaries I totally agree that listening is a key component of how we make change. I also appreciate your focus on listening to staff as well and that’s something that Michael Casey and I really tried to promote in all the writing we did back in the day.

• Cassie Casillas wrote a new post on the site Grimaries' Grimoire 1 months ago

Assignment X The discussion of Library 2.0 and the increasing incorporation of online resources has continually led me to think about the preservation and Continue reading

• It really is such a great resource!

• Yay, let me know what he thinks!

• Cassie Casillas commented on the post, Hello INFO 287!, on the site 1 months, 2 weeks ago

The Chucky movies are so good! Especially Bride and Seed. I’ve been meaning to watch the show for forever now but I keep forgetting to add it to my watchlist.

• Cassie Casillas commented on the post, About me, on the site 1 months, 2 weeks ago

Hi Carly,

I’m definitely a fan of 80’s horror too, especially ones like Killer Klowns from Outer Space or the Creepshow series! Both of the movies I recommended are on the campier side if he enjoys that kind of thing.

Also great question because I forgot to put it in the post but the visual and the drawings are all a template from Canva made…[Read more]

• Cassie Casillas commented on the post, About me, on the site 1 months, 2 weeks ago

Hey Alana,

I will definitely check that out; I didn’t know we had that!

The program was originally intended for ages 10-18 but our players currently range from 2nd to 6th grade (mostly 4th graders). Ideally if this maintains well we’d also like to start an adult version.

• Hello INFO 287! This was made using the Blue and Orange Retro How to Find Happiness Poster template by Firstyline on Canva.

• Hi Cassie,
      This is a great visual. You are definitely talented. My husband is a huge horror fan, too. His tastes run toward the 1980’s but I will recommend those titles to him.

Sorry if this is an obtuse question but I ask because they are so cute. Did you draw/design the creatures or were the open source?
      Have a great week,
      Carly

• Hi Carly,

I’m definitely a fan of 80’s horror too, especially ones like Killer Klowns from Outer Space or the Creepshow series! Both of the movies I recommended are on the campier side if he enjoys that kind of thing.

Also great question because I forgot to put it in the post but the visual and the drawings are all a template from Canva made by Firstyline

• Hi Cassie,

Love seeing your blog as an infographic style. Canva is a great tool! If you haven’t already, especially if you have a free Canva account, you may want to check out Adobe Express, as we have paid accounts through SJSU. It’s a very similar interface to Canva.

The D&D program sounds amazing. It’s always nice to be able to bring your personal passions to library work. What age group is the program aimed for?

• Hey Alana,

I will definitely check that out; I didn’t know we had that!

The program was originally intended for ages 10-18 but our players currently range from 2nd to 6th grade (mostly 4th graders). Ideally if this maintains well we’d also like to start an adult version.

• @grimaries I love that you mention the human aspect of the profession., That is what this class is all about!

Welcome to #hyperlib!

• Love the infographic you made in Canva! I really need to play around with that more.

• I think MBMBAM is the one podcast I can keep up regularly with. I recently got back into Welcome to Night Vale, relistened to The Magnus Archives, and restarted The Adventure Zone. I also got into Cerebro recently despite never reading any comic books or watching any X-Men media.

• Cassie Casillas posted a new activity comment 1 months, 3 weeks ago

I love Dropout!! But I’ve completely fallen behind in all the series except for what they post on TikTok and Youtube 🙁

• There’s a lot to catch up on but the highlights they share are always great. I love that the cast and creative team all seem to genuinely appreciate and support each other. I guess it’s that improv energy.

• I’ve been binging a lot of stuff in the past few months, mostly movies (I’m absolutely obsessed with Challengers) and K-dramas (Jugglers and King the Land particularly stand out). But I recently finished binging the Balance arc of The Adventure Zone podcast. I tend to binge horror movies but I’ve been slacking lately.

• Load More