Now we explore new models of service, ideas outside the box of traditional library land thinking, and the popular Anythink libraries. As a source of inspiration, I want to highlight the work of Anythink Libraries and the Outside the Lines initiative. Below are “Things to Explore” resources provided by Stacie Ledden. Then, please explore the other links to see new models of service in action.
ANYTHINK Resources by Stacie Leddden
- Anythink Tank (Clearinghouse of Internal Documents)
- Anythink’s Strategic Plan (which they have extended through 2015)
- Anythink Staff Manifesto
- Anythink Staff Competencies
- A Day in the Life of an Anythink Library
- Pam’s TEDx presentation on 21st century libraries
If students are curious how the public responded, here’s a video we often refer to five years later when we first introduced the community to the Anythink brand:
- Architects of Dreams
Things to View:
Things to Explore
- Kitsap Regional Library. (n.d.). Brand.
- Stephens, M. (2016). The Hygge State of Mind.
- Putnam, L. (2016). How Libraries Are Curating Current Events, Becoming Community Debate Hubs
- Mathews, B. (2015). Think Like A Startup: 3 Years Later
- Holmquist, Jan (2016). Open Libraries.
- Bike Library scheme looks to extend across Yorkshire. (2015).
- Garrison, E. (2015). Borrow a sewing machine? Sacramento Public Library to start loaning more than books.
- Mabaso, A. (2014). Building the library of the future here in Philadelphia.
- Agresta, M. (2014). What Will Become of the Library?
- Hood, G. (2014). 5 Ways Colorado Libraries Are Going Beyond Books.
- Wickner, A. (2015). Designing Library Spaces.
- Lipsey, R. F. & Madera, F. (2015). 100 Great Ideas for the Future of Libraries.
- Burbach, C. (2015). Free digital library, at former Borders site at 72nd and Dodge, moves closer to reality.
- S., M. (2014). Come see what’s cooking: Announcing our new Culinary Literacy Center!
- Peet, L. (2016). The Future of Futures: Designing the Future.
- Monaghan, E. (2016). The Library is In.
- Peet, L. (2015). Anythink’s Hannah Martinez Wins Lucy Schweers Award.
- Alderman, N. (2015). The First Great Works of Digital Literature Are Already Being Written.
- Toronto Kitchen Library (2016).
- Madison Public Library (2016). The Bubbler.
- Staffer, C. (2016). Sweating in the Stacks.
- Michaelson, E. (2013). Toronto’s Kitchen Library Brings Appliances to All.
Stacie Ledden is the Director of Innovations and Brand Strategy at Anythink Libraries. After joining the district in 2008, Stacie assisted in launching the Anythink brand that in 2011 garnered the John Cotton Dana Award for Outstanding Public Relations in Libraries. In her position at Anythink, she has filled the role of event planner, webmaster, brand champion and Anythink cheerleader. Previous to her work at Anythink, Stacie was an editor for a global newswire service, freelance writer and faithful library customer. In 2012, she helped launch R-Squared – The Risk & Reward Conference, which focused on creativity and taking smart risks to move libraries forward. Stacie was named one of Library Journal’s Movers and Shakers for 2013.