The hyperlinked library is human. Communication, externally and internally, is in a human voice. The librarians speak to users via open, transparent conversation.
Michael Stephens, The Hyperlinked Library
In Module 3, we will explore The Hyperlinked Library, which is a model emphasizing an open, participatory institution that welcomes user input and creativity. It is built on human connections and conversations. The organizational chart is flatter and team-based. The collections grow and thrive via user and staff involvement. Librarians are tapped in to user spaces and places online to interact, have presence and point the way. Adapting to change in a positive, forward thinking manner will also be important for libraries and information environments. The response to ongoing change should be constant and purposeful – based on thoughtful planning and grounded in the mission of libraries. Hyperlinked library services are born from careful trend-spotting, an application of the foundational tenets of librarianship and an informed understanding of emerging technologies’ societal and cultural impact.
Things to Read
- Denning, S. (2015). Do We Need Libraries?
- Searls, D. & Weinberger, D. (2015). New Clues.
- Weinberger, D. (2001). The hyperlinked organization.
- Stephens, M. (2006). Into a new world of librarianship.
- Stephens, M. (2010). The hyperlinked school library: engage, explore, celebrate.
- Stephens, M. (2016) Open to Change.
- Mathews, B. (2010). The unquiet library has high-schoolers geeked.
- Visser, J. (2011). DOK Delft, inspirational library concepts.
- Schmidt, A. (2014). Exploring context.
- Booth, M. (2013). People and UTS Library.
Things to View
- We Are Library People (2015). Aarhus Library Tour
- Booth, M., McDonald, S., & Tiffen, B. (2010). Library of the future in plain English.
- Harvard University (Director). (2012). The future of the Harvard Library.
Things to Explore
- DOK. (2010). Create stories tell stories keep stories: DOK Library Annual Report.
- Doklab. (n.d.) DOKLab on Twitter
- Future of Libraries MIT
- Kanal tilhørende transformationlab. (2007). Transformation lab – Prototyping the future.
- Kanal tilhørende transformationlab. (2009). Mindspot the movie: the library as a universe.
- Rainy, L. (2016). The Puzzles Librarians need to Solve.
- Roush, W. (2005). Social machines: Computing means connecting.
- Stephens, M. (2011). The hyperlinked library.