How do we find balance? How do we make good decisions? Reflective practice is mindfulness to the nth degree. Be thoughtful about the decisions you make, about the projects you take on, and about how you put yourself out there in the online world. It might be what you present at a conference or what you write on a blog or in an article. Those things become part of your practice as well.
How did you come to be where you are in the field? What decisions did you make? If you found your way to this profession, you’re looking to help people be the best they possibly can be. We are the heart of our communities and that only works because the people who run libraries give of themselves. They do it knowing that there will be hard days and disappointment, budget fights, and individuals whom they may not be able to reach. The best librarians make that emotional investment because they believe in the institution and the communities they serve.
Things to Read
- Stephens, M. (2014). Reflective practice.
- Stephens, M. (2014). Always Doesn’t Live Here Anymore.
- Stephens, M. (2014). What’s Your Pitch?
- Cheetham, W, & Hoenke, J. (2013). Making mistakes in our daily work: A TTW conversation between Warren Cheetham and Justin Hoenke.
- Clausen, K. (2012). The importance of professionalism
- Corkindale, G. (2011). The importance of kindness at work.
- Grant, C. A., & Zeichner, K. M. (2001). On becoming a reflective teacher.
- Cep, C. N. (2014). The pointlessness of unplugging.
- Anonymous, (2016). Who would be a librarian now? You know what, I’ll have a go.
- Sandlian Smith, P. (2017). What are you thinking? #2.
- Stephens, M. (2016). Talk About Compassion.
- Awareness Act. (nd). 13 Traits of People With True Integrity.
- Stephens, M. (2017) Formula for success.
Things to Explore
- Stephens, M. (2014). A Genius Idea.
- Fallows, J. (2013). The Art of Staying Focused in a Distracting World.
- Henry, A. (2012). How to promote yourself (without being sleazy).
- Klerk, J., & Stephens, M. (2010). Open conversation: Being human.
- Frierson, E. (2011). Leading with heart.
- Fallows, J. (2013). The art of staying focused in a distracting world.
- Nadworny, E. (2016). How parents and teachers can nurture the ‘quiet power’ of introverts.
- Stephens, M. (2016). The Hygge State of Mind.