Uncategorized

Reflection Blog#2- Hyperlinked Environments and Issues- The Hyperlinked Public Library

In INFO200, I was inspired by Denmark’s forward-thinking Dokk1 library, and lamented the lack of similar initiatives in the United States. However, my recent discovery of hyperlinked public libraries in the US, notably the Memphis Public Library (MPL), and in particular the Teen Learning Lab at the Central Memphis Library (Cloud901), shifted my perspective. I am trying something new here, and highlighting  Cloud901 in a google slide presentation for my reflection blog. The link is below, and I hope that it works for you all!

Reflection blog #2- Hyperlinked Environments

• Maggie Rogers

Hi Roya,

Wow! What a great job on your reflection. I learned so much and now I want to visit Memphis just to see their libraries. Some key takeaways for me were the hiring of the library director from outside of “Libraryland” and the pop-up storytimes in landromats and clinics. Bringing in ideas from outside of the normal channels really opens up the options for change and progress. And meeting community members where they are with a service they didn’t know they needed is instrumental to trying to reach the patrons that never come through the doors. Thanks so much for your research and your thoughts.

–Maggie

• Laura Wecksler

Nice presentation, Roya! You’re right that Memphis PL is one to aspire to. I love all the coursework and references you plugged in. And wow, a PL with a TV and radio station? Whaaa? It’s so funny when we see innovative ideas that are really just challenging the paradigm of what libraries represent for most people. Awesome find and creative post!