Hello!

Hi everyone,

My name is Ciera(@cedudley). I am based in Santa Cruz, California, where I also grew up. I moved back here in 2020 during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic from NYC after 9 years away. I spend my time making art, cooking, learning how to sew, and organizing with my local renter’s union.

I worked in urban planning for several years but have been doing a variety of gig jobs since 2018. I have been a museum educator, art teacher, oral history worker, tenant counselor, and grant writer. A through line in all of these jobs is my interest in connecting with people of all ages about their needs and interests and creating a physical or digital space to create and explore. I hope to be a public librarian!

I am looking forward to this class because of its focus on community as the heart of librarianship, even in the digital realm. I am especially interested in learning about participatory service and engagement. I expect that this will connect to my experiences in tenant organizing and developing participatory education projects with young people. I look forward to learning about how these practices cross-over or differ!

Since others are sharing animal pics, I’m adding a picture of Mr. Buffalo, my family’s dog, who is a big part of my life.