Reflection- Hyperlinked Communities

There is so much that libraries do that some communities and patrons do not know exactly what it is besides checking out books, and other ‘basic’ functions. There is an idea that libraries could be pretty boring, mundane and not very integrated with the community.

This module however, showcases the opposite of that. With readings and articles about various programs and services that libraries have to offer- it debunks the myth that there is ‘nothing going on’.

When I mentioned to my students at my former job about what I was studying, a lot of them assumed librarians just check out books and read all day. I would try to engage with one or two of them of what the library has to offer or why it’s important. Maybe I just had a rosy colored vision, but also a lot of experience in time at libraries as well.

I really like the idea that some of the readings mentioned about getting the community connected or engaging in conversations and learning to build upon how to make the library experience better and more relatable.

There’s this creative and expanding way of having the library serve in various areas- holistic, and basic needs. It seems like there is never or not always a fine line of when it’s too much- service and outreach no longer relevant. I think it’s important that librarians and higher staff are thinking outside the box and ways to not just engage but serve diverse communities and direct these services to them. That essential question, ‘how do libraries grab and keep community member’s attention?’ And the answer was about understanding the bigger community, and what they want.

One thought on “Reflection- Hyperlinked Communities