Just Another Outlet... I think

Reflection Blog: Hyperlinked Communities

At times, in the library where I currently work, staff and patrons would ask me, Which section is your favorite in the library? I would tell them that it is so hard because there are 2-3 sections I like, but there is always one that is true to my heart. The section would be non-fiction, but more specifically, the cookbooks. As some of you might have read, I used to work in the restaurant industry, which is by far one of the hardest jobs that I have held, but I would say the best time too, minus the stressful nights. Looking through cookbooks sometimes just doesn’t do justice when it comes to cooking. Cooking is such an intimate time to have. Whether you are learning something new, impressing friends, or cooking for pure joy, it is something that you can’t replace. Freeman’s article, Cooking in the Library, talks about the importance of how cookbooks are more than just to cook; they are also to learn about nutrition, culture, and the movement of food in libraries. She states, “Cookbooks were the first item related to culinary, nutrition, and food literacy added to the library collections.” (Freeman, 2022, p. 97) 

Looking at the hyperlinked library, there is so much information that it would take many lifetimes to learn and understand each perspective. When talking about the idea of food in the library, there are several options to approach when working with patrons and, most importantly, children. As children are the pickiest eaters, teaching them through food programs would reinforce their mindset and hopefully open them to trying to find foods that they might like at first and gradually build on. One of the most important things about food is understanding what food literacy is. Eric Schofield, Bachelor of Education at the University of British Columbia, talks about food literacy and breaks down why it is so important to learn, especially for at-risk youth in high school. Since they are at their most vulnerable, it is difficult to educate them because of their temperance, and the idea of health is boring. Now, my love of cooking has stemmed through my childhood and into the present, but food is universal to understand, and creating or understanding food literacy by learning in the library can shape a better life for everyone. 

Freeman, R. (2022) Cooking in the Library. Dublin Gastronomy Symposium., Session 9: Food and Food Education as Public Values. https://doi.org/10.21427/0q5a-yg62

Food Literacy- Its about more than just reading labels: Eric Schofield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj4kr64TIss

1 Comment

1. Michael Stephens

@mavng Thnaks for the video and for your thoughts regarding culinary literacy and children. I totally agree. This is such an important space for us to be in with our services. I hope someday every library is built with a community kitchen.