Introducing Me!

Hello everyone!

My name is Jemielyn Llaguno and I am from Calgary, AB, Canada. Some of my hobbies include: reading (I know, so stereotypical), baking, ice skating, and going on adventures. I work in one of the branch libraries in my public library system as a Library Experience Facilitator. We have 21 different library locations in our city. I started in high school as a page and aged out of the position once I turned 18.  Eventually, after I finished university, I found my way back to the library in 2022, starting out as a Library Experience Assistant, then a Library Experience Guide, and made my way to the position I am in now. I am interested and hoping to become a librarian, and eventually a manager in my library system after receiving my MLIS. Currently, I am in my third semester of my MLIS and it is my hope that I graduate this coming spring. I did my undergrad in Sociology.

Libraries have evolved so much throughout the years and I think it is so important to keep up with the emerging trends and technologies that are making their way into the library. This is why I am excited about this class because I believe it can help advance the library experience for users and expand the library and its services. It is a great way to meet people where they are and build connections on their terms. The library experience is so personal and it is important to have services and technologies that can accommodate that.

Thanks so much for reading and I look forward to blogging with you all throughout this semester!

4 thoughts on “Introducing Me!”

1. Yeah, definitely really interesting positions. The Library Experience Guide and Facilitator are both front-facing, patron interactions. These positions are the ones who interact the most with the patrons because we are always on the floor, unless we have some off-desk time. The main different is that as a Library Experience Facilitator, you are the shift supervisor on the floor and you are allowed to facilitate baby programs. So when the branch manager, librarian, or supervisor is not on shift (typically in the evenings or weekends), you are the person they go to report any major issues. Lots of fun in the position which is great!

1. @jemielyn Hi! Library Experience Facilitator isn’t a role I’m familiar with (I am new to public libraries this year!)–do you interact with patrons a lot, or is it more behind-the-scenes? Also, what genres are your favorite to read? I’m a fantasy fan myself, though classics are a close second. Nice to e-meet you, and good luck finishing up the program by the spring!

1. Hi! Yes, it is more patron interactions. Often we are the most senior person who is on the floor. I am such a romance reader haha. I have gotten into fantasy romance lately and it is really fun, if not romance, I love myself a good mystery. Thanks so much, hope to interact with you more throughout this semester!