Hello and welcome! Blog #1

I’m so glad you came to visit my blog!

My name is Christine Shelley, but you can call me Christie. I live in San Francisco with my husband, teenager and two cats, Clark and Daisy. I love to run because my body can still do it (past 50) and it keeps me healthy. I’m interested in finding and identifying wild mushrooms, listen to music, take short day trips out of the city with our kiddo, visit family in Santa Cruz and Napa Valley and explore Golden Gate Park and The Presidio.

I look forward to sharing my thoughts, ideas and experiences here and most importantly meet and learn from all of you. This is my fourth semester at iSchool and I found that discussion groups have been a huge part of my learning process at iSchool. I’ve learned so much from my peers!

I hope you enjoy my blog site!

-Christie

Here’s Daisy (front) and Clark. Fun fact: both are rescue cats. Daisy was free at the SPCA and Clark was abandoned.  I had seen him around the yard at night and noticed how skinny he was, so I left food out for him before he was brave enough to “knock” on our door. One night a raccoon came right up to Clark as he was eating and asserted itself in front of the cat food. Clark must have known this raccoon and knew it was “friendly” because he just moved over to make room for it. They both sat side by side around the food bowl.  (I didn’t adopt the raccoon).

5 thoughts on “Hello and welcome! Blog #1”

1. I love your mushroom picture. I went on a guided mushroom tour/hike in Van Damme State Park a few years back and learned so much. I go on mushroom hunts as often as I can, but I don’t collect – I just photograph them.

1. Hi Denise. Thank you and I’m glad to hear from another mushroom enthusiast. I had to look up Van Damme State Park. I would love to hunt for mushrooms there. I also just take pictures and leave them be. I went on a group forage at Salt Point State Park with the Sonoma county mycological society a couple of years ago. I hope to go back there again soon. Mendocino is a great place for mushrooms. I’ve seen pictures of people posting their gatherings on Facebook.

1. @michael Thanks! I haven’t found Morel mushrooms yet. I live near areas that experience wildfire (Northern California) and my understanding is they grow well in areas affected by fire. Silver linings.