Hello, Hello All!

My name is Salina and this is my second year in the MLIS program. I am a Community Technology Specialist with the San Mateo County Libraries (SMCL). My experience in libraries started when I volunteered at my local library throughout my high school years. While I had not initially set out to become a librarian, I soon found my way back to libraries not long after I graduated from college. I started as a Library Assistant with SMCL and had the opportunity to work in a number of different roles with varying responsibilities over the last 6+ years. I supported and lead many programs, storytimes, and outreach efforts. I worked with our Access Services department and learned how to catalog new books. I supported the development of my library’s interim makerspace and my current focus is on expanding and developing maker programs in conjunction with that space. It took me a little while to commit to this program, but I love what I do, and I can’t imagine working anywhere else.

In my free time, I like to read translated web novels, in particular those that have been adapted into television dramas. I enjoy having the text and the visuals. I am not fond of suspense so I tend to avoid any incomplete works. I am also not above reading spoilers. My other hobbies include puzzles of all kind: jigsaw puzzles, word puzzles, logic puzzles, etc. At work, I have compared scheduling to working on a puzzle. Perhaps a combination of chess and tetris? I also enjoy baking from time to time, and discovering new recipes.

I’m looking forward to reading everyone’s introduction and learning about what brought you to libraries!

3 thoughts on “Hello, Hello All!

1. Hi Salina!

I felt like we had a class before. I’ve actually been trying to apply SMCL awhile back, but with no luck. I also work at the Berkeley Public Library as a library aide. I heard great things about SMCL. I like that they have makerspace because I feel like a lot of teens and adults can teach each other how to create things. I am also getting into baking, and it has been fun. I like to alter recipes when I’m comfortable with the original recipe.

• Hi Maverick! I started the program last Spring and have been taking quite a few classes through the summer and fall sessions so it’s very likely that we had an overlap. SMCL is an incredible place to work for and I love how dynamic the environment is. There is actually an active recruitment for Library Assistant that just opened yesterday. If you are interested, take a look on our website. And if you haven’t yet, come check out the makerspaces!