I thought about exploring a few options, some more complex than the next, and decided upon exploring Drag Queen Story Hour in libraries. The LGBTQ+ communty has been under-serviced in society. Libraries can be great public institutions through which the LGBTQ+ community can find resources relating to LGBTQ+ should they host a Drag Queen Story Hour (DQSH). Founded back in 2015, in San Francisco, Drag Queen Story Hour (DQSH) is an event that teaches children from early on that it’s okay to be different, to be gender fluid, and gives them a fabulously queer role model.

2 Comments on Director’s Brief : Drag Queen Story Hour (DQSH)

1. Hi Tiffany,

I love the idea of a DQSH! I believe it sets a great example of inclusion and diversity, offering up new heroes for kids even! I would love to attend one of these programs, myself. You use some great examples of the program in action. I find it interesting and a little sad that the San Francisco librarians have to emphasize the program is not paid for with taxpayer dollars. Also, as an aside, Friends of the Library is amazing!

Britt

• Hi Britt,

Thank you so much for your comment!

I was extremely excited when I had heard my home library would be hosting these events. That inspired me to write up a director’s brief on the topics. I think it is important to communicate the importance of inclusion and diversity to the future generation now more than ever. I really appreciate the message of the program and I’m sure that parents would as well. I am just as surprised as you are that they had to emphasize that the event was not paid for with taxpayer dollars. I want to explore or really take the opportunity to ask why they thought that would be necessary.

I also agree! I’m quite impressed with all of the things they do for the library. I don’t think it would be easy to accomplish half the things libraries do today without any assistance. I think the teamwork really pays off.