Module 7: Participatory Programming

I enjoyed the Adulting 101 article (Ford, 2018). I think adulting 101 are some of the basic skills many patrons in the public library need. When I started working in the library, I was surprised that filling out a job application online, creating a resume, and logging in online are skills that many patrons don’t have.

One patron in particular wanted to apply for a personal loan. The loan amount was 500 dollars and the interest was 500%. I was trying to convince him that wasn’t smart to take that loan, but he was persistent. During tax season, I was surprised how many people didn’t know how to get to the IRS website or how to do their taxes. As a former high school English teacher, I spent so many hours teaching Romeo and Juliet, but my time could have been better spent teaching life skills that are often not emphasized in the curriculum.

After reading the Adulting 101 article, I think I want to try some Adulting 101 classes at my branch. I am a bit hesitant that I will get too large a response from the community. It is difficult to provide enough help for all of the patrons using the computer during the day. Offering a class where I can provide enough individualized support may be challenging, but these type of classes are much needed.

Ford, A. (2018). Adulting 101

Join the Conversation

1. I enjoyed the Adulting 101 article as well! I think that life skills courses are severely lacking in public education. Many high school graduates don’t know how to balance a checkbook, let alone calculate the interest on a loan or credit card before applying. When I was in high school, there was a general finance class but it was not geared toward personal finance, it was more about business finance. Resumes were also not a thing taught in my high school, I learned resume writing from my parents and then in college. So, I think that there is a definite void in life skills education that libraries can fill.

A far as your new classes, you mentioned how you worry about not having enough time to devote to individual help during classes. Have you heard of Google Classroom (https://classroom.google.com)? It has a very comprehensive digital literacy component called “Applied Digital Skills.” You can find full lesson plans there, including resume writing. The lessons are in the form of instruction videos that a librarian could potentially facilitate. These lessons could free up time for the instructor, allowing the class to watch a portion of the video, do the exercise, pause for questions, and repeat. My library’s Digital Literacy team has been looking into Google Classroom as open source option for teaching digital literacy skills. Here is the full link to the Applied Digital Literacy page:
    https://applieddigitalskills.withgoogle.com/s/en/home?_ga=2.109811205.1833421479.1571006592-1038776458.1571006592