Categories
Uncategorized

Reflection on Kindness

Week 13 was yet another week of great reading. I love this concept of non-academic or soft skills making the difference between success and mediocrity in the workplace (Gershon, 2017). I think there is a lot to be said about having lived a little and bringing that life experience into your work. I have been married now for almost 13 years and this experience has shaped a lot about me and the way I view compromise and compassion and love and so much more. I became a mother for the first time almost 8 years ago and since then, my perspective of what parents want and need for themselves and their kids has dramatically shifted. I’m not working now, but I did before I had 2 and my understanding of being a working parent has also shaped my perspective on the needs to working parents. Not only that but I lost my dad a few years ago and since then my perspective of love and loss has been immensely impacted. I certainly am no expert in any of those things I mentioned, but experience has taught me quite a few lessons that I’m not sure I would have understood without the first-hand living of it.

Corkindale shared his personal experience of loss and the impact it had on his life which trickled into work. Getting through the sorrow allowed him to open himself up to learning and hearing from others in a way he might have missed if not for his recent experience (2011). He also writes about the “source of unexpected support came from the U.S. colleagues and friends of my relation, whose warm tributes and shared memories replenished our strength and resolve” (2011). There is good to be found in the human network of support; but it sometimes takes us opening our eyes to seeing it.

Another thing that struck me this week was in regard to the Office Hours pieces that addressed confidence. This has always been something I have struggled with and so I find it so helpful to be reminded that fears get in our way of confidence (Stephens, 2018). As I get older and especially now that I have kids who look to my example on things, I see the benefit to leaning into the things that frighten me the most. Overcoming our fears, or at least staring them down, can lead us to find confidence in our abilities.

One last little thought….I just loved this quote. It almost seems silly that something so obvious needs to be said, but it really does need to be said. “Having some autonomy, being treated decently and not being overstressed all the time might be the biggest keys to being an effective emotional worker” (Gershon, 2017).

Stay well!

Corkindale, G., (2011). The importance of kindness at work. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2011/04/the-importance-of-kindness-at

Gershon, L., (2017). The future is emotional. Aeon. https://aeon.co/essays/the-key-to-jobs-in-the-future-is-not-college-but-compassion

Stephens, M., (2018). Champion of confidence. Library Journal. https://go-gale-com.libaccess.sjlibrary.org/ps/i.do?p=AONE&u=csusj&id=GALE|A540851105&v=2.1&it=r&sid=AONE&asid=d66fa80e

One reply on “Reflection on Kindness”