Director’s brief: The permanent adoption of temporary makerspaces

I had a great deal of fun with this. For this brief I decided to look at the practicalities of using temporary makerspaces as a way for small, academic libraries to still manage to engage with their student community, despite having limited funds and space.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Aq6CTYojEuYyiwRlgcY099twY9hC?e=k9IspA

Join the Conversation

1 Comment

1. Hi Adam,

I immediately connected as soon as I read the introduction to your director’s brief. It’s a struggle that alot of libraries go through every day to remain the information hub as a decrease in use of library spaces, services and resources is on the rise. This is an incredibly important topic to discuss so I’m glad you covered it. I think that this would be a huge concern to library administrators and that they would like to have as many potential solutions as possible to help preserve the library.

I personally am a huge fan of pop up events (just did one in Chicago back in May and woke up at 6 am to get to it) so I’m intrigued to see what libraries can do with them. A makerspace is a great way to get people in to see what the library can offer them. It can be used among all age groups. I personally would have loved to see one when I worked at an academic library and would have loved access to a makerspace during my undergrad years.

I just never really associated them with academic libraries or access for students so this made me happy to see.