Learning in the “Garden of Readin‘!”

In this Choose Your Own Adventure episode, we take a look at the library as a classroom. I must admit that when I thought of the title for this project, I literally LOL’d, because, like a perfect pizza, it contains just the right amount of cheesiness. Kinda like that line 🙂 I think this quarantine might finally be cracking me!

All jokes aside, the library is in a unique position to meet so many learning needs. I have found with my children that learning tends to be more effective and fun, when some sort of activity is involved. Gardening can be a therapeutic way to express creativity and learn about plant life. This project would take those fun and fundamental aspects of gardening and combine them with literature.

Each session would showcase a different story and participants will be given the tools to re-create the world of that story through their own eyes. We all know that books contain a level of imagery, pictures we manifest in our minds as we go through the text. While the general idea may be the same for most, the details could vary from reader to reader. The most interesting part of this activity is to see how each participant sees this literary world. What characters do they choose? Do they re-create their favorite scene or go rogue?

This project also allows for a lot of literary discussion. Participants can share their opinions of the story, the characters, the themes, the morals, the ups, the downs, the heartfelt, and the heart break. This project enables the library to meet literary, social, and even emotional needs of most age groups and the take away is not only a deeper appreciation for the text but also a customized Garden of Readin’ to take home!

7 Comments on The Library As A Classroom

1. This project seems like a lot of fun, and the concept can also be taken toward other arts and crafts projects that don’t involve greenery. One of the coolest new trends is book nook shelf inserts, where people create little alleyway nooks between their books that show scenes from books they love. Terrariums do bring some more LIFE to the project, though! (Oh gosh, the puns are spreading.)

2. I love this project! It is such a cool idea for a wide range of different ages. It is such a creative way to bring out unique perspectives on literature. I especially love the Jurassic Park one in the example 🙂

3. Hi, Kristen!

I absolutely ADORE this idea! What a memorable and engaging activity for all ages–I’m 27 and would still love to participate in your Garden of Readin’ project! I imagine these working very well as displays around classrooms and libraries, as well features on social media and/or websites to help promote the magic of literary crafting. I hope you, your children, and all other loved ones are doing well with all of the COVID-19 madness.

All the best,
    Eleanor