Let Me Introduce Myself

Greetings! My name is Sharon and I am beginning my 3rd and final year as a MLIS grad student. The very first course I took, INFO 200 with Dr. Stephens, left a permanent imprint in my mind about how libraries are constantly evolving, and that is why I am here. This semester I am looking forward to soaking up as much information as I can about emerging technologies and how they can be integrated into the library community. As someone who is always trying to think outside the box, I am eager to see what this semester has in store for me and I have no doubt that my mind will be opened up to new ideas, opportunities, and adventures.

My Background

I was born and raised in Castro Valley, CA, located in the S.F. Bay Area. After 35 years I migrated to Winters which is a small town about 40 minutes from Sacramento. Along with my husband of 7 years, I reside with my 17-year old daughter, 14-year old stepson, our dog Gizmo, and two geckos. I am also a step-grandmother to three boys ages 1, 3, and 10. Needless to say there is never a dull moment!

I earned a bachelor’s degree in psychology in 1998 at Cal State East Bay (CSU Hayward back then). I enrolled in the SJSU MLIS program in 2005 and successfully completed one course during what had to be one of the most difficult times of my life: I had to move unexpectedly, I was pregnant with twins, and my 2-year old daughter got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It was my daughter’s diagnosis that made me decide not to continue with the MLIS program. Fast forward 14 years later and here I am returning to fulfill my dream of becoming a librarian. My ultimate goal is to become a medical or public health librarian or possibly a Disaster Information Specialist (not exactly a typical MLIS career pathway).

Other Interesting Facts

I worked as a prison guard in a men’s prison for nearly 5 years. I’ve been a surrogate mother three times and birthed two sets of twins and a singleton to three different couples. I’m obsessed with Disneyland and I had the privilege of dining at the infamous Club 33 back in 2003. In my spare time I enjoy reading various fiction books, dancing (ballet especially), community outreach, watching old movies and TV shows, researching random things on the Internet, and spending time with my husband, daughter, and stepson.

With my hubby
With my daughter at the Haunted Mansion
At Star Wars Land in Disneyland
Amanda and Nathan at The Tides restaurant in Bodega Bay
Gizmo

3 comments on “Let Me Introduce Myself

1. Hello @svigil287 – wow – so much cool stuff in your intro! First – I am a huge fan of the Haunted Mansion! I was oil France for IFLA in 2014 and met up with friends who live there. We went to Disneyland Paris to see the Nautilus (also a fan) and to go through the Phantom Manor. That makes 3 Haunted Mansions I’ve visited. 🙂

I also think all of your varied experiences will inform your future work as an information professional. Glad you found your way back to our program.

Welcome to #hyperlib!

• Sharon Vigil says:

@michael Disneyland Paris sounds amazing and it’s definitely on my bucket list. Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride along with Pirates of the Caribbean. My daughter and I are going to Disneyland again this December during Winter break. It gives us both something to look forward to while we struggle through the school year!