The Hyperlinked Library Reflection: Learning Never Stops

This blog is split into three reflections: Growing up, Professionalism & Current Thoughts.

Growing Up

I try to reflect every once in a while thinking back to when I was either eight or nine, one of my earliest memories. I believe I was in third grade at the time and although it may have seemed like a bizarre memory, I had it often, nevertheless. I dreamt of growing up, growing a full beard (yes, I know), driving a car, getting a job, making money, and a bunch of other things that I can now say are becoming true. On the other hand, I thought for the longest time that grownups never made mistakes. My family members sometimes reflect back and explain to my siblings and I that they had no idea what they were doing in certain situations. Yet, we as children always saw them as the perfect adults always knowing what to do in every situation. Justin Hoenke explains something similar in a conversation with Warren Cheetham for Tame The Web (TTW). “When I was a teen, I used to think that adults never made mistakes.  They were the ones in power and they never messed anything up…I put a lot of pressure on myself to be that “perfect adult” but what I was doing was something that I could not keep up with (TTW Editor, 2013).” It’s difficult to be perfect. We shouldn’t focus on being better than others. What matters is that we are good for ourselves.

Professionalism

It’s crazy how time flies. I used to want to dress up in Business suits and head to work so I could afford that new iPhone or game console. I was always told to act professional in school and in the workplace when the time came. I didn’t really understand what that meant until now. Professionalism can mean a variety of things to different people. We can see it in our speech, attitude, dress, character, and online (Clausen, 2012). I’m going to put emphasis on the last point. As we have seen throughout the semester, being professional is extremely important. In a time of being fully immersed in an online world due to COVID-19, some might forget that we still have to be nice to each other even though we can’t see each other often. Here’s an example: Have you ever written someone either through text or social media and as soon as they responded you could tell what they were feeling? Regardless if you know this person or not (and can read what they say in their voice), we all can sense sarcasm and sadness among other feelings. Those feelings are also sometimes paired with emojis. Being professional is not difficult. Even if you are facing hardships, treat others how you would want to be treated. It’s as simple as that. 

Current Thoughts

I’m going to do my best and condense an entire essay of information into a couple of paragraphs. You want to become a Librarian? My parents asked me that question when I started my MLIS degree. Yes…but no…kind of…maybe. After going to Business school and filling my head with knowledge, I figured it was time to learn something new. I have a plan to go for my doctorate one day so I figured this would be a good start. Truthfully though, I didn’t know what I wanted to major in. I looked at an MBA, Masters in Data Science, Economics and so on. Nothing clicked. Well, here I am. Some don’t understand the name. They hear Library and Information Science and automatically think Librarian. Yes, it’s a part of obtaining the degree but there is so much more that comes with it like a Matryoshka doll. “About the only drawback I’m finding is the (sometimes) well-meaning dismissiveness, particularly from my friends and family. A working-class male taking a degree to be a what? Sometimes, they just laugh. I could try to explain, but it’s difficult when I hardly understand the profession myself (Anonymous, 2016).”

I chose to major in LIS for a couple of reasons. The research that leads to new explorations and the thrill of being able to step into libraries (looking from a different point of view). My first full-time position was in IT so I found it very rewarding when I could help someone. I’ve changed over time. My point of view has shifted to not knowing what I want to do to finally saying I am on the track to my success. A few years ago, I couldn’t say that I found research fascinating. Now I do. I didn’t understand why we had libraries. Now I do. The more I know and learn about libraries, the greater the impact they have on me.

I would like to thank Professor Stephens for a marvelous Fall 2020 semester.  

References:

Anonymous. (2016, March 5). Who would be a librarian now? You know what, I’ll have a go. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/2016/mar/05/librarian-professional-calling-priest-degree. 

Clausen, K. (2012, October 19). The Importance of Professionalism. HLS. https://hacklibraryschool.com/2012/10/19/to-be-or-not-to-be-the-importance-of-professionalism/. 

Editor, T. T. W. (2013, August 19). Making mistakes in our daily work: A TTW Conversation between Warren Cheetham and Justin Hoenke. https://tametheweb.com/2013/08/19/making-mistakes-in-our-daily-work-a-ttw-conversation-between-warren-cheetham-and-justin-hoenke/. 

Standard