New Job, New Place, New Puppy- and Hyperlinked Environments

The last month has been crazy for me because I started a new job as a Library Technician, moved, and got a puppy all within a week. I had been on a wait-list for the puppy, and I maybe should have pushed off that particular time-consuming project when I found out about the new job. I’d met her a few times though, and couldn’t bring myself to do that.

This is Olive, looking deceptively calm and sweet- she is actually a ball of hyperactive energy who likes to chomp on your fingers and toes.

My new place has stuff everywhere and it’s almost complete chaos throughout because I haven’t had a puppy since I was a child and didn’t realize how much one-on-one time she would need (and that sleep deprivation is real). I have quite honestly been struggling to balance learning the new job (it is SO TIRING to learn new skills and work in a new environment with new people), getting settled in my new house (and living with a significant other, which is also new for me and an interesting adjustment- he also requires a lot of attention), keeping up with school, caring for the puppy and still trying to find time for friends, family and self-care. I feel that I have been a little checked-out when it comes to school and that I’ve been doing the bare minimum to get by. I am finally getting settled in the new job and the puppy is starting to sleep through most of the night, so that will change.

For the choose-your-own adventure module, I selected Museums, Galleries and Archives. In this class, I am loving all the readings and examples in the lectures about hyperlinked libraries and environments. I admire all the organizations that constantly work to think of new ideas to bring people in. I particularly enjoyed Nina Simon’s TED talk. The interactive museum is to me quite a unique and groundbreaking idea because it goes against the traditional museum goals. It is brilliant to create an environment in which visitors can do more than just stand in front of a sculpture, painting or other work of art and admire it. Creating activities around the art is a great way to help visitors feel more connected with the art. This I feel is similar to science museums that create spaces where kids can play and experiment and discover – only it can appeal to all ages.

Another article that stuck out to me was Tacoma’s Museums: Filled with Life, Not just Objects for the following quote: “Museums should want to bring people in with relevant content that still brims with life and emotion. And send them out with thought-provoking ideas that linger and leave them considering new perspectives. ” (Clark, n.d.). This I think gets to the heart of the intentions of the very creation of art. People create as a way to express themselves, their thoughts, emotions, struggles, and beliefs. Museums and archives that provide a space and a way to bridge the gap between the creator and the participant/viewer are providing a way to open people’s minds to understanding -or at least being open to receiving- new ideas, experiences, and perspectives.

Reference

Clark, K. (2020, March 7). Tacoma’s Museums: Filled with Life, Not just Objects. Retrieved from https://westmuse.org/articles/tacoma%E2%80%99s-museums-filled-life-not-just-objects

Categories: Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Post navigation

One thought on “New Job, New Place, New Puppy- and Hyperlinked Environments

1. More Olive pictures please!

I am glad you chose the Museums, Galleries and Archives as your CYOA. You highlight salient themes from cutting edge institutions.

Congrats on the new job too!