Reflective Practice & Closing Time

I am sorry for this class to come to an end as the semester wraps up. I feel like much of what we’ve learned in this class will help to scaffold the trajectory of my library career. I’ve appreciated all of the articles we were assigned to read that were inspiring, thought-provoking, and heart-warming.  Libraries and librarians rock! But so do our users.

Most of all, I’ve loved the focus on the heart in librarianship and the discussion of how empathy, communication, and trust can really impact the work we do so that we can amplify learning and connections in our libraries.  

Corkindale’s (2011) “The importance of kindness at work” resonated with me and reminded me of what a difference an empathetic manager can make.  My father passed away suddenly at the beginning of this year. My manager and coworkers were amazing, jumping in to see how they could relieve me of some of my workload, what support they could provide, etc.  And this attitude is not just in times of grief or tragedy; even when my children are sick, or they can see that my workload is piling up while others have some space, we all work together as a team to look out for each other, to make sure that everyone can manage, has the support and resources that they need to be successful and not feel overwhelmed.  Our work and mission is stronger because we communicate, we support each other, and we trust each other.

This class has forced me to really think about what role technology has in our lives and how librarians can and should be the leaders in adopting emerging technology and showing others how a new technology can improve their lives, create connections with other people or to learning, or just delight them.

Another piece that really resonated with me in this Reflective Practice module was the article about  how to gain confidence in this digital environment (Stephens, 2018). I really like action steps laid out for me, and Sally Pewhairangi’s advice seems like a good way to keep trying new things without letting the fear of failure stop you:

1. Set a super small goal
  2. Brainstorm
  3. Get ready
  4. Do it
  5. Celebrate

Adding to that, I found the idea of letting beta be your friend and just trying things out without perfecting them (part of the iterative design thinking process) to be encouraging and realistic.  I will use these steps as I approach each new thing, each new challenge that I feel unsure about.

Looking forward to the future!

Corkindale, G. (2011). The importance of kindness at work.

Stephens, M. (2018). Librarian Superpowers Activate!

Image from the Portland Library and Learning Commons at the University of Oregon.

Posted on December 6, 2019, in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a Comment.