“Allow myself…to introduce myself”

image of Nikki at Crater LakeI’m Nikki, and I am beginning my third term at the iSchool.  I am a working mother to two boys, four and nine years old, and I live with my husband and kiddos in Portland, OR, after having moved here from Los Angeles about eight years ago.

I have undergraduate and graduate degrees in Germanic languages and historical linguistics. I love language and learning languages, and I spent time living abroad in Scandinavia and Iceland during and after my college studies.  I have no Scandinavian or German heritage; my interests in these languages and cultures came about because I took high school French and German and then just continued taking language and linguistics classes through college. I try to maintain my language skills through reading online newspapers and listening to online radio and social media, but I feel like I’m fighting a losing battle.

I have worked in universities my entire post-graduate career.  I have been an assistant to a neurologist, a department manager in a college of education, an administrative analyst in institutional research, and I currently work at a labor center assisting faculty with their classes and research.  My work experience has revolved around helping people, from making copies and assisting students with registration to maintaining databases and creating and managing surveys. I enjoy and am good at working with others to support their goals and help them find solutions. In fact, I find my job to be the most interesting and satisfying when there is a problem that requires creativity or research to solve.

I started the SJSU program with the public librarianship pathway in mind, but after a few semesters of getting to know other people in the program and reading more about information professions I have started to consider other options, such as digital librarianship, academic librarianship, and web design.

Despite juggling parenthood, work, and school, I have found the lectures and readings for my courses to be very engaging in this program, and I look forward to learning more about emerging technology and how to cultivate my curiosity to make me a better information professional.

When I’m not studying or working, I like to be outside with my family, riding bikes and hiking in and around Portland.

Posted on August 23, 2019, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.

1. Hello! Thanks for sharing your background – your previous degrees sound so interesting and I’m glad you got to live outside the US after school. Please consider your interests in the various areas of librarianship as you move through the modules. 🙂

Welcome to #hyperlib!

2. Hi Nikki!

Finally getting a chance to read through everyone’s introduction posts! Nice to find another Oregonian! I’m over in Hillsboro myself!

I wonder if there are a lot of Oregon folks in the iSchool program – would be interested to try to do a meetup someday if there is a large group.

-Patrick