Hello! Welcome to My Little Corner

Just another #hyperlib Learning Community Sites site

We Need Libraries!

on February 10, 2020

I didn’t know that 27 years ago, Howard Rheingold (1993) already could state that: “Social aggregators that emerge from the Net when enough people carry on those public discussions long enough, with sufficient human feeling, to form webs of personal relationships in cyberspace.” (Thanks to our professor for introducing this quote!) Indeed, when the world changes, the libraries change because libraries should be up-to-date places. (Hopefully, that is true.) I understand the quote much better until watching the part “Hyperlinks are people too.” of the lecture.

Nowadays, technology is so popular. Surprisingly, Denning (2015) revealed in one of his articles: “One wrong path involves merely computerizing existing services. This is a common mistake with every new technology: applying the new technology to what is currently being done.” Denning suggested that focusing on users and their needs/desires is a much important thing to do, and a user-centered approach is necessary.

Along with watching the lesson, I also read Do we need libraries? It is an interesting article. I’ve been seeing this question so many times. And I found the answer(s): Yes, we do. Also, I obtained some excellent reasons for my answer.

Library Cartoon retrieved from https://www.roanoke.com/opinion/commentary/ramsey-libraries-are-a-symbol-of-the-common-good/article_ca283049-ea6e-5b60-bae5-073e9a60af3d.html

Why we need libraries. Retrieved from https://esearch.sc4.edu/libraryweek/transform

This is an amazing video that touches my heart and opens my mind in a special way.  

Little note:

Does anyone have the same experience as I do? I feel that it’s so right about the policies in the lecture. I was “ah” and laughed out loud when I heard, “When did we last reviewed our policy manual to see what’s in there?” 

References:

Denning, S. (2015). Do we need libraries? Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2015/04/28/do-we-need-libraries/?utm_campaign=ForbesTech&utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=social&utm_channel=Technology&linkId=13831539#1dbab1696cd7

2 Responses to “We Need Libraries!”

1. Hi Nhu-Y,
    Thanks for sharing those resources! The library I work at had a lot of bookmarks with those reasons for why we need libraries. “Because you might take an interest in gardening at 3 A.M. was new though and made me laugh.

I agree that a lot of the policies and interactions Professor Stephens mentions are relatable. I have only worked in libraries since 2015, but I have experienced so many of the situations he describes! I’ve noticed myself say “That is SO TRUE!” to myself while watching the lectures.

2. 🙂 Thanks for sharing that great comic and your thoughts on virtual communities and library services. Pam’s video is amazing! Glad you had an LOL moment too.