Reflection Blog #1

Out of all the reading, the article “Do we need libraries” by Steve Dennings stuck out to me. When I decided to change career path, so many asked me why because they believe libraries are going to disappear in the future. Of course, they believe this as they do not realize that libraries are just a building with books. And many of us who knows what a library consist of, knows libraries are going nowhere. Dennings states “Libraries everywhere are under threat,” and he gives examples of many things in this world that are being replaced by the next big thing. One example, taxi is being replaced by Uber & Lyft. He believes there is a future are libraries. He listed three wrongs ways and 5 approaches for libraries to have a future. This impacts all library services as there are threats for libraries.

I feel we can only computerize some services and not all as this will lead to no employees. With no real person to interact with, I feel there will be less people to even visit a library. We still need people interaction! Computerizing services will not save any cost as it’ll cost just as much to computerize services. As much I though maybe having apps for smartphone is a good idea, I can see why it is not a good idea. If users don’t know how to use the apps, they are less likely even use it. Dennings five questions are how to improve the libraries by concentrating on the users and customers, continuous innovation, convenience, new ideas, and services that are already loved. I truly believe his questions is a great way for libraries to follow and it doesn’t only focus on the library but also the users. This article is a great read for many who questions the future of libraries and even for the communities.

Denning, S. (2015, May 01). Do We Need Libraries? Retrieved February 6, 2019, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2015/04/28/do-we-need-libraries/#196b108f6cd7

2 thoughts on “Reflection Blog #1

1. I commented similarly to this on another post but I see many people, myself included, who continue to read actual books to get away from all the technology in our lives. I am always looking at a screen for work and school purposes, and using my phone, so I need a break from it after a while. Technology may reduce the overall number of people needed for service provisions but I don’t think everything can ever be completely automated.

2. @mosminwoo Absolutely! The human element is the most important part of the library. I could see a large system having a self serve style space similar to Amazon go stores but there will always be a main library facility with humans inside – available in the space or virtually.