Hyperlinked Librarian

Director’s Brief: Adulting 101

Posted on: November 27, 2019

Here is the first paragraph of my Director’s Brief introduction:

Adulting 101 classes are a current trend in academic libraries. In fact, many universities in Colorado have Adulting 101 classes, such as the University of Denver and the University of Colorado, Boulder (Brady, 2019). However, the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs (UCCS) Kraemer Family Library has yet to offer any such workshops on skills that could help students successfully transition into adult life. Part of UCCS’s vision is to “[provide] students with academically rigorous and life-enriching experiences in a vibrant university community” (Mission, Vision, & Values, n.d.). Adulting 101 classes have the potential to enrich students’ lives through gaining hands-on experience with skills that are necessary to thrive in adulthood. In addition, Adulting 101 classes can encourage students to visit the library and participate in library initiatives, which has the potential to build community on campus.

5 Responses to "Director’s Brief: Adulting 101"

Hi Melina,

I really love the idea of introducing Adulting 101 classes. I could have used those early on (maybe when I turned 18). It would have prepared me for life when I did my studies abroad or just in general really. It sounds like more and more libraries are working on this. But sadly, I cannot think of any library in my immediate area that offers any such class and I truly think it’s a necessity. I only knew the bare minimum thanks to my high school consumer ed. class. These are essential life skills that would definitely help not only enrich the learning of the target audience of undergrad. I also believe that it has great potential for building community on campus as well as improving the numbers of visitation by college students.

I really enjoyed learning about the history of adulting 101 and how the term came about. I just assumed it came about a few years ago but that’s not the case. I also remember taking home economic classes in 7th grade and being really bad at sewing and cooking. Reading this post made me learn new things as well as rememberin the good days.

Thanks!

Thank you for your comments Tiffany! Maybe you could start some Adulting 101 classes at your local library when you get your degree! 😉

There is definitely a need in the community for these types of classes so long as the education system continues to not offer them!

Hi Melina,

This is great! Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I’m inspired and wonder how this could be implemented in a public library. Which got me thinking about basic finances classes added in to the ESL classes for adults we already have. Loved your layout, too!

Thank you, Jeff! Finance classes for ESL learners is a great idea! That would be a great service for community members whose second or third language is English because it would have an intrinsic emphasis on empathy and developing a human-oriented service!

Melina,

I really enjoyed your brief! I have often thought about proposing Adulting 101 classes to my library, as well. Maybe to target both teens and adults. I agree that it is so important to help people on this front. It can be difficult to navigate all the forms, letters, jobs, etc of the adult world and it make people feel helpless sometimes. Your brief had so much great information. Thank you so much for sharing!