The Hyperlinked Community

I thoroughly enjoyed the different readings this week on the hyperlinked community. This module really builds on many of the topics explored in INFO 200 on information communities. Peter Block states that, “Communities are human systems given form by conversations that build relatedness.” Active engagement is required for libraries to foster an environment that is welcoming. What does your community want? How can information professionals best meet the needs of these communities? With the advancements in technology, coupled with modern strategies for community involvement in services, libraries have the ability to engage patrons on a deeper level.

Building on the definition of community, it gave me hope as a future information professional to read about the numerous examples of libraries embracing the philosophy of hyperlinked communities. Such as the technologically impressive Instagram wall at the Hunt Library at North Carolina University that collaborated with a student advisory boardin the design process (Jensen, 2017), or the the collection of Libraries showcasing different acts of inclusion, acceptance, and resistance. “By inviting all in a community to be in a shared space, libraries embrace the idea of encouraging education, encouraging acceptance and tolerance, and on a much smaller scale, they create policies that ensure these very things happen in their spaces” (Casden, 2013). People are hyperlinks too, and libraries must remember that fostering an environment where communities can feel connected to each other and the information they need is at the heart of library service. 

(Jensen, K. 2017) Libraries Resist: A Roundup of Tolerance, Social Justice, and Resistance in U.S. Libraries. Retrieved from: https://bookriot.com/2017/02/10/libraries-resist-round-tolerance-social-justice-resistance-us-libraries/

(Casden, J. 2013) My #HuntLibrary: Using Instagram to Crowdsource the Story of a New Library. Retrieved from: https://acrl.ala.org/techconnect/post/my-huntlibrary-using-instagram-to-crowdsource-the-story-of-a-new-library/

Published in: on February 21, 2020 at 4:20 am  Comments (7)  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://287.hyperlib.sjsu.edu/maythesourcebewithyou/2020/02/21/the-hyperlinked-community/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

7 CommentsLeave a comment

1. The first thing I thought when I opened up this module was about how much it reminded me of INFO 200. I think that it is really cool how libraries are embracing this idea of bringing people together to build community. They are encouraging people to make connections with each other by providing the space and tools (in some situations) to do so.

• @jhill716 I agree! So many similarities to INFO 200. It really illustrates how hyperlinked libraries are making the most of the community building aspects of libraries, in addition to the technology.

2. I am glad you included this quote:“By inviting all in a community to be in a shared space, libraries embrace the idea of encouraging education, encouraging acceptance and tolerance, and on a much smaller scale, they create policies that ensure these very things happen in their spaces” (Casden, 2013). Yes! Exactly. I was also trying to figure out how to somehow remember all the great content we have been processing in the last two weeks to be able to share how vital and libraries are today.

• @narrability my favorite quote from the readings. I really think libraries are more important today than ever.

3. Yay! I am glad this one resonated too. Can you tell I am the Core Course Coordinator for INFO 200?

I agree with your comment about the importance of libraries right now. I think the LIS field is stepping up for sure – especially in chaotic times.

• @michael I can definitely tell! There is a lot of overlap. It’s so interesting how it all ties together.

It’s so reassuring to see how libraries are driving a message inclusivity and hope.

• To me too. Right now, I think we all need that kind of message.