Radical Trust – Assignment X

Please enjoy my reflections on Radical Trust...

I tried endlessly to embed these slides into my blog but to no avail — has anyone else had this issue? They show up in the draft but then disappear upon publishing.

4 thoughts on “Radical Trust – Assignment X”

1. @ayeouest Great job! I love the idea of Yes and or Yes but.
    Okay I know this is not the topic of your assignment but since I know this is on your mind after such an announcement LAUSD IS BANNING CELL PHONES??!!!!!?????
    I do not work in LA County but I work in Kern County and often we follow suit to you guys, so I had to go read about it. The problem is in my mind is I can see both sides. As an educator I want my students attention, as a parent I want to be able to reach my children.
    How much more of a burden do you think this announcement will add to your day as an educator?

1. I don’t actually work in LAUSD anymore. I work in Oakland now and my school has a policy that we collect phones at the start of class and then return them at the end of class. At first it was kind of a challenge and there was a lot of resistance, now students are pretty used to it and it only becomes a point of contention some of the time. I think for the most part they understand why phones have become an issue in the classroom — I once had one student say “here, take it, I’m not addicted” lol. I understand LAUSDs response, but I think the full ban is going to be difficult to implement. I’m interested to see what they come up with.

2. Hi Ashley! Oof, I had some nice nostalgia reading your slideshow; I was obsessed with my Xanga. When I was a tween/teen, it felt so vital to post my thoughts and feelings and have those validated by friends (or even just have them out in the universe). Now, as a 30-year-old, I have taken a big step back from social media and it has helped improve my mental health in a big way. Our phones, technologies, and social media are such a mixed-bag. It often feels impossible to create a measured, non-reactive policy to dealing with the negatives that technology throws our way.

I am drawn to the concept of radical trust, but I am not sure I can think of anytime I have actually seen it in action. Do you feel like you see any libararies or schools implementing it in a way you would want to emulate or try out in your own classroom? I wonder about the ways that we could infuse our library/school codes of conduct with more of the trust and vulnerability we hope to see in the world.

1. Hi! There are definitely immeasurable challenges, and no one policy will be a perfect solution. The first thing I thought about with the LAUSD ban was what about emergency situations like lockdowns and active shooters, or what about students that need their phones to monitor blood sugar (like I do)? Blanket bans bring a lot of anxiety. It’s extremely difficult to be non-reactive. I don’t necessarily think having radical trust means you have to be non-reactionary. Even when leading with radical trust, there will inevitably be breaks in that trust. Some of the examples in my slides are ways libraries are embracing tech, rather than banning it – having game nights, etc. Or offering free goods and rather expensive services with the hopes that people use it to their advantage and don’t take advantage. It also makes me think of that MindSpot video, where students were responsible for making the library their own. I think all of these are statements of radical trust. I guess the idea is trying to maintain a belief in the general good of the majority, and not focus on the few exceptions. My grandpa used to say that if people steal, they probably needed it. Doesn’t make it less hurtful, but it does put in perspective why libraries and educators offer the services we do – to help.