Introduction, “Hello Everyone”

Hello Everyone,

My name is Derek, and I am starting my third year of the MLIS program. I live in Anaheim, CA, and work as the evening and weekend circulation assistant at Southwestern Law School’s Leigh H. Taylor Law Library. The law library is located in Downtown Los Angeles inside the historic Bullocks Wilshire building. Anyone familiar with the Bullocks Wilshire knows it is one of the city’s most iconic buildings. Being able to work inside a historic building is a delight.

Before becoming one of Southwestern Law School’s circulation assistants, I worked as a student assistant for four years at the university library at Cal State Fullerton, where I received a bachelor’s degree in History and a minor in Mathematics. While at CSUF, I excelled in both History and Library Services. These experiences helped me get my first article published in the university’s history journal, land my job at Southwestern Law School, and solidify my pursuit of a career in librarianship.

During the first year and a half of the program, I was unsure what type of librarianship I wanted to pursue. My first impulse was to follow the reference librarian track because of my excellent customer service skills and librarian recommendations during my undergrad. But while I have been in the program, I have found that technical services, especially cataloging, appealed to me more than reference librarianship. While providing patrons with the information they need and teaching them information literacy skills, it is also important to ensure that the information we provide is correct, properly cataloged, and easily accessible.

I like to travel when I am not working or taking MLIS classes. Traveling usually means going to conferences, but sometimes they are just for fun. Before the pandemic, my wife and I were able to Cuba and then spent New Year’s in San Antonio, Texas. We are hoping to start traveling again in the foreseeable future.

We also recently adapted two animals, a guinea pig, and a chihuahua. The chihuahua, Tippy, who is old and blind, and had been neglected for years, has found new life at our house. The guinea pig, Shela, who was skittish and hid from everyone now, is a princess who expects carrots, lettuce, and cucumbers whenever she sees me. Photos of both the animals are below.

I am looking forward to this class and learning more about the Hyperlinked Library and how theories of user-centered library service, the use of technological tools, the creation of collaborative communities collection, and how cataloging and technical services add to the continued development of library services to help support and inform the communities they serve.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Introduction, “Hello Everyone”

1. Michelle says:

Hi Derek,

I love your pets! I had a guinea pig when I was 10ish that looked like Shela named Rodney! I named him after the ‘bad boy’ in the neighborhood :-).

I too was interested in reference, but I hear that it takes about 10 years to be a good reference librarian – I believe it from just working the front desk at the public library!

Looking forward to a great semester!!

2. @dtaylor101 Thanks for sharing your background., interests and the link to the Bullocks Wilshire Building. It’s gorgeous! Yay for dogs and guinea pigs too.

Welcome to #hyperlib!