Collaborations on campus and beyond

As a public library employee, I expected that after reading the foundational material for this class I would blog about what I read and discuss ideas for services to better serve our patrons. After completing the readings, projects and proposals for the public library world were indeed sparked. But I was more struck by how applicable the readings were to the experiences I had at my academic library during my undergrad years. 

The tenets of library 2.0, or the hyperlinked library, described in the readings are applicable to any type of library. Casey and Savastinuk (2007) describe ideals to strive for such as constant and purposeful change, improving services to existing and new users, participatory experiences and user created content. 

Some of the ideas, especially participatory and collaborative opportunities, seem ripe for academic libraries.  While I was an undergraduate my campus library opened a Creative Media Studio complete with media editing software, an audio recording studio, and free 3D printing for students. Additionally students were able to check out laptops, digital cameras and various lenses, Arduino kits, multiple GoPro items, lighting kits, Zoom recorders, and green screen kits in various sizes. This service aligns perfectly with Mathews’ (2017) notion of cultivating complexity. 

By providing access to expensive equipment and software, students are able to work on school or personal projects and there is great potential to collaborate with a wide variety of departments across campus. It would be interesting to talk to those librarians now and learn if there was as much collaboration as I imagine the potential for. Students in any discipline could create audiovisual projects for classes, competitions, grant opportunities – the sky is the limit! It would also be interesting to come up with a way for libraries to see the fruits of these collaborations. What did their patrons create? How did they use the information, materials, etc.? Perhaps the library could request the use of a hashtag on social media. This would enable libraries to see how patrons are using their services and how services could be improved. Any suggestions for a hashtag? 

Casey, M.E. & Savastunik, L.C. (2007). Library 2.0: A guide to participatory library service. Medford, N.J. 

Mathews, B. (2012). Think like a start up. Accessed at https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/bitstream/handle/10919/18649/Think%20like%20a%20STARTUP.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Mathews, B. (2017). Cultivating complexity. Accessed at https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/78886

2 thoughts on “Collaborations on campus and beyond

1. @tsanford I love how your undergrad library meet the needs of its students by providing the tech that can be out of reach for so many students. I work at an academic library and we provide a few things but I think we could do more. Thank you so much for sharing your experience!