Karah's #hyperlinkedlibrary Blog

Hello!

Posted in Uncategorized by on January 28, 2019

My name is Karah Iansito, and I am a high school librarian living in New Jersey. Before becoming the librarian in September 2017, I taught English at the same school for 14 years. I am incredibly blessed to have my dream job and to work with truly fantastic people every day. I have two sons, aged seven and four, and a better half, my husband of 11 years.

I took this class because I am interested in how libraries are evolving. The word evolve of course connotes growth, change, adaptability, and, I think, an interest not just in surviving, but in thriving. To evolve is to face a challenge and to overcome it with success. I am new to the field of information science and so excited to be working in a library, and I think that newness has evoked an overall excitement about my own growth, both professionally and personally.

Of particular interest to me is something Dr. Stephens says in his course introduction about participatory service. He says it “Engages users to add to library services… Offers the chance for users to plan with librarians…” and “Offers a mechanism for evaluation.” This is exactly the kind of work I’ve endeavored to do in my school library, and I am very excited to think more about these ideas as we work through this semester.

I have also been meaning to start a blog for longer than I care to admit, and am so grateful to have an opportunity that has finally forced me to do it! I am truly beside myself with excitement (and feeling a little nervous, too…) about this opportunity to learn about blogging and WordPress while studying something I love within a community.

So let’s get started! Good luck to everyone this semester, and I look forward to thinking and learning together.

12 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

1. Aplsmith said, on January 28, 2019 at 3:33 am

Welcome to Libraryland!
    This is my 6th semester in this MLIS program and still the first line of my first textbook rings true: “the field of library and informational science is amid one of the most “dynamic and transformation periods in history.” (Hirsh, 2015, Information Services Today, p.3). I can’t wait to hear about your school library and the activities you do with your students.

• Karah Iansito said, on January 28, 2019 at 3:53 pm

Hi! Yes, it’s such an exciting time to be a librarian, no doubt!

2. diana said, on January 28, 2019 at 6:14 pm

Hi @karah2019! Where in NJ are you? I am originally from Ocean Township, near Asbury Park!

• Karah Iansito said, on January 29, 2019 at 12:12 am

Hi @diana! My sister lives in Asbury! We love visiting her at the beach. I’m in northern NJ, about 20 miles west of NYC. But I grew up in Monmouth county and graduated from Howell high school. A long time ago šŸ˜‰

• diana said, on January 29, 2019 at 10:33 pm

What a small world! I love going to Asbury when I go home to see my parents. Have you eaten at Talula’s? It is delicious. I graduated from Ocean Township HS. My 20 year reunion is coming up this summer, haha! Cannot believe it. Good luck in this class and all your endeavors this semester.

3. Jenny Reyes said, on January 29, 2019 at 5:17 am

Hi Karah! You have a beautiful family and I love visiting Rockefellar Center at Christmas time too! It never gets old and always puts me in a festive mood šŸ™‚

• Karah Iansito said, on January 30, 2019 at 2:35 am

Thanks @jennyreyes! Yes, it’s a blast, but the introvert in me hates crowds, so we try to go on a weekday in early December. #librarianproblems

4. Heather Canfield said, on February 1, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Hi Karah,
    I love how you described the idea of evolving as taking change head on and “not just surviving, but in thriving”. It can be so depressing listening to some individuals who work in libraries who bemoan falling circulation rates etc but don’t seem to have an interest in meeting our library users where they are and making changes that reflect their current needs and interests. I think that we are at an exciting time in the world of libraries. There is so much potential there.
    Thank you for your post and the picture of your family. I love New York City although I have never been there at Christmas time.

• Karah Iansito said, on February 9, 2019 at 6:53 pm

Hi @hcanfield,
      Thanks for your comments! Sorry for the delayed response; I’ve been home with both boys sick for a week, and just coming up for air. I can’t believe I avoided having both sick simultaneously until now, and wow, it was crazy. Anyway, yes, I think it’s so exciting to be in libraryland these days, and I am so grateful to work with teenagers and try to meet their needs and interests. It’s very cool.

5. Michael Stephens said, on February 1, 2019 at 8:49 pm

Hi Karah! So nice to see that amazing picture of your family. šŸ™‚

How cool you pulled the aspects of participatory service out of my intro. I am glad you’ve been aiming that way with your school library. I hope you will find many inspirations in the modules.

Welcome to #hyperlib.

• Karah Iansito said, on February 9, 2019 at 6:56 pm

Thank you, @michael! I am very excited for the course. I’ve found a lot already that has been useful, if not inspirational, and am following a lot of new authors and thinkers on Twitter and Feedly. Very cool!!