One Last Thought

I just finished my e-portfolio for INFO 289 and am riding pretty high. So, I will use this space to reflect on how I am currently feeling about where I am at.
After sifting through various course resources for this class, I have come to the conclusion that libraries aren’t going anywhere. Not that I though they were, but specifically to those who doubt us and what we do. Libraries fill all of the various gaps society needs filled because that is what we do. They give us all somewhere safe to go to be able to find whatever it is we are looking for. Doctrow (2013) talks about his experience meandering through a public library during his early teens. I can relate. I have often wandered through the stacks, even before I called them that, in search of anything, something and/or nothing at all. It’s where I discovered Alfred E. Neuman, Noam Chomsky, Rene Descartes, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Howard Zinn and Harvey Pekar. A library is where I meticulously examined the career statistics of Pie Traynor, Honus Wagner, Willie Stargell, Jay Bell, Roberto Clemente, Dick Groat and so many others. It’s where, as a young teenager (maybe even a little younger), me and a couple of my friends began a fruitless quest to locate the libraries collection of Playboys. I was basically on exploring the analog version of the internet. As Doctrow (2013) points out, “It was clunkier before the Web went digital, but it was every bit as exciting.” (para. 5) I never really could pin down what led me here pursuing this, but remembering the productive and futile journeys at the library, the camaraderie nurtured within its walls and the curiosity piqued wandering its labyrinthine space, have convinced me that I have made the right choice.

Doctrow, C. (2013). Libraries and makerspaces: A match made in heaven. Boing Boing. Retrieved from https://boingboing.net/2013/02/25/libraries-and-makerspaces-a-m.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Join the Conversation

1. @joshuatuszynski Congratulations on completing your e-portfolio! I agree with you and do not think libraries are going anywhere. They will continue to be community spaces, helping people in their quest for knowledge in any way society needs. It will fill those spaces, as you’ve said, by incorporating new technology, new skills, workshops, or any other learning that will need to take place as civilization progresses. I wish you well and the best of luck for the future!

2. “I never really could pin down what led me here pursuing this, but remembering the productive and futile journeys at the library, the camaraderie nurtured within its walls and the curiosity piqued wandering its labyrinthine space, have convinced me that I have made the right choice.”

NICE! Thanks for this reflection on your journey to library work. And CONGRATS on the e-portfolio. 🙂

1. It has been an interesting journey and this class has definitely helped me realize and discover ideas, things and concepts that will assist me along the way.