Monthly Archives: April 2020

Blog Reflection 5 – Infinite Learning: Learning Everywhere

Blog Reflection 5 – Infinite Learning: Learning Everywhere

For the Infinite Learning module I chose to look at the Learning Everywhere module. Seeing as this is my last blog reflection for this course I want to address the common question people have about libraries, “Why do we need libraries?”

Technology has made it knowledge easily available at a click, a tap, or a command. It is for this reason that it is possible for everyone to learn everywhere. The 2012 Horizon Report supported this by stating “People expect to be able to work, learn, and study wherever and whenever they want to.” (Stephen, 2012, p. 124)

Though the internet and new technology have made it easier to gain access to books, music, and other materials that is provided by libraries, but it doesn’t mean that libraries no longer needed. In fact the importance of libraries have only grown. Doctorow (2013) stated that “Libraries have also served as community hubs, places where the curious, the scholarly, and the intellectually excitable could gather in the company of one another, surrounded by untold information-wealth, presided over by skilled information professionals who could lend technical assistance where needed.” Libraries are constantly improving their services to cater to the needs of the public. Some libraries choose to create storytelling, Adult 101, knitting, and other education programs along with maker spaces.

 Many libraries provide access to technology and the internet to those that lack a stable source of internet and teaches those that lack important digital skills. The digital skills “are a gateway to all kinds of learning”. (Digital Promise, 2016) “The world is changing faster than ever and our skill sets have a shorter life.” (Stephens, 2020) This quote by Thomas & Brown reinforces the importance for librarians to constantly improve the library services so that everyone can continue to learn new things.

I will end this with one of my favorite quotes from this module “It wouldn’t be library science without a little experimentation, and some of those experiments are going to fail. But occasionally, an idea is going to succeed. And when it does, it creates an opportunity to reshape the notion of what our libraries can do.” (Greenwalt, 2013)


Digital Promise. (2016). Chicago Public Library: The library as a gateway to the 21st century skills. Retrieved from

Doctorow, C. (2013). Libraries and makerspaces: A match made in heaven. Boing Boing. Retrieved from

Greenwalt, R. T. (2013). Embracing the long game. Public Libraries Online. Retrieved from

Stephens, M. (2012). Learning everywhere. The Heart of Librarianship. p. 123-125.

Stephens, M. (2020). Infinite learning: Learning everywhere. [Lecture]. Retrieved from

Blog Reflection 4 – New Horizons

Blog Reflection 4 – New Horizons

After going through this module I can’t help but feel overwhelmed by how much technology has improved in a few decades. The world has gone from the creation of a coarse internet to artificial intelligence and robotics. All of this progress just shows that technology will not stop evolving and that they will become an integral part of our everyday lives.

Families are already inviting artificial intelligence and virtual assistants into their lives through Alexa, Google, Home, smart homes, and other technology. These new devices can complete tasks faster than older devices thanks to voice commands which allows users to multitask more easily at home. (Stephens, 2018) In some cases of families with children they need to understand that “systems like Alexa aren’t sophisticated enough to understand a child and should never be used to replace human interaction.” (Kelly, 2018) Kelly’s article just reminds me of all the times I see parents using smart devices to distract their children and how the devices are replacing human interaction in the lives of teens and adults.

When looking at the study that stated “72% of people who own voice assistants say the devices are often part of their daily routines” my family would belong to the remaining 28%. (Terdiman, 2018) My family owns an Alexa device, but we don’t regularly use the device. Though these new devices may be useful and popular it doesn’t mean that they should all be incorporated in everyone’s lives and in organizations such as libraries. Libraries should embrace new technology, but they must take into consideration the amount of help the device would provide to librarians and library users.


Kelly, S. M. (2018). Growing up with Alexa: A child’s relationship with Amazon’s voice assistant. CNN Business. Retrieved from

Stephens, M. (2018). Flash briefing office hours. Library Journal. Retrieved from

Terdiman, D. (2018). Here’s how people say Google Home and Alexa impact their lives. Fast Company. Retrieved from