An Introduction

I’m interested in the reference librarian aspect of the library science world, and am focusing on public libraries as I greatly enjoy that environment and workplace, and hope to get skills and understanding through this course that I can bring back to my own library.

I chose to take this course because over the course of my time in libraries I’ve seen so many new pieces of technology be introduced and change the workplace in ways I’d never really considered to be possible. I spend a lot of time at my job trying to teach people how to use technology that has been integrated into the library, such as e-books and e-readers. To do this I often find myself explaining why there are different platforms for digital books, why they can’t just download a book from the library without waiting for holds, and what kind of value all the investment my library has made into fostering digital spaces for the library community actually produces.

Having an understanding of technology and how it is used in library spaces is something that is very important to me from a professional prospective. I like knowing (or at least having an idea) what kind of technology is on the horizon for libraries and the real value that it brings to the library project. Being able to explain and articulate the trends, worth, and overall direction that the modern library is going in helps me know what to look into and research so that I am kept up-to-date on what might be coming to my workplace.

Join the Conversation

1 Comment

1. Hello @jameshl! I like this: “Being able to explain and articulate the trends, worth, and overall direction that the modern library is going in helps me know what to look into…” I think you tapped into an important skill for soon to be info professionals. I hope this class inspires your thinking.