Giving Thanks

Wow, the semester is already coming to a close. Where did the time go? I know for me the time has gone both fast and slow. The semester started with my heavy grief due to losing my grandma before Christmas, then I got a house with my husband and hadn’t finished moving when COVID-19 hit. Now its Mother’s Day and I’ve been struggling to focus wrapping up the semester because all I can think about is the pain my mom is feeling, missing her mother as well as the sadness my aunts and uncles feel. 

But despite the world seemingly caving into chaos I have learned some important things this semester. I have learned that libraries are way more than a building, they are a staple to the community and a lot of people depend on them for various things and yet I know there are still people out there that don’t know what the library can offer even if it’s just free air conditioning during hot summer days or head during winter. I learned that I am stronger than I think and that crying or asking for help isn’t weakness, because it requires strength to show someone your vulnerability. I learned that being a librarian requires more than just a knowledge of books or systems, it requires heart, compassion, empathy and mercy. 

So thank you Professor Stephens and all of my fellow classmates for helping me learn these important lessons this semester. I am truly grateful.