Technology is a Resource

While reading through all the articles I found that the common theme was meeting people/users where they were instead of having users come to the service.  There were several new technologies that I had never heard of or did not know the capabilities of at least in a library setting. However, like anything else, creativity is key. In the article, “Serving the User When and Where They Are: Hyperlinked Libraries,” by Michael Stephens, he mentions six different mobile services. Cloud librarians were the first, I thought it would be wonderful to have librarians to help users navigate through all that. Second was professional development on demand to help staffs integrate emerging technologies into libraries. Today there are so many new things coming out of the tech world that it is hard to keep up, incorporating a service like this into libraries would definitely help keep libraries relevant to their patrons. Hyper-local is something I was semi-familiar with because I’ve heard of it but rarely use it because of the privacy aspect. I was always taught not to tell people where I was, to upload pictures of a trip after I was already back home and to not interact with strangers, two of which the hyper-local service goes against. However, I have always wanted to utilize the local knowledge more and I tend to be more trusting of people and lean towards the hope that people are good. Next is gamification, which I am all about integrating learning, fun and technology together. Most people in my family tend to see libraries or books as boring, outdated and only for the intelligent (why thank you, I try!), but they are so much more than that. The whole reason I want to be a librarian is because I believe libraries are capable of so much more and can help so many people. Second screen sharing is something I am very familiar with because I try to juice up my online, virtual contact and utilize the tool of the internet and technology I have been so graciously given. I would love nothing more than to have educational, yet fun conversations with those who share my likes and dislikes. I thought the idea of embedded experts was exciting and innovative. I would love to be able to use technology to enhance my exploring, especially since places like national parks are so understaffed that personal tours are mostly out of the question. Overall, professor Stephens highlights a lot of great services that have the ability to make libraries an even better, more relevant resource.

But there was another piece of technology that really got my attention. And although even after reading the article I am still a little fuzzy on how it works, beacons seem like a really helpful thing. I for one am always getting notifications for emails of places I only signed up for to get discounts but are not worth the hassle or text alerts for specials for places I rarely eat at because they are so expensive or news topics unrelated to my fields of interest, however if the library could send me reminders of things while I was in the building without me having to do more than say yes I want in then I would be interested in trying out said technology. For one I would not be bothered about the same thing all the time or bothered anywhere I go and I could be more aware of the events going on at the library especially if they could be customized to alert me about events based on my interests, age group or relevance. Beacons seem affordable and handy for libraries and patrons alike. They are not to intrusive but allow for some personalization which would help with building a relationship with one’s local library.

Either way I am very excited for the future, especially since technology is always advancing but people are now looking to it as the resource that it is rather than a luxury.

Resources

https://tametheweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Stephens_ServingtheUser_HyperlinkedLibraries.pdf

https://www.libraryjournal.com/?detailStory=beacon-technology-deployed-by-two-library-app-makers