Reflection on Hyperlinked Environments

Most of the time that I learn new information or come across innovative ideas in this or other classes, my mind starts thinking of ways that these generalized concepts can apply to my (currently) fictional future high school library (AKA, my ideal future workplace). The ideas discussed over the past few weeks in this class about participatory services in hyperlinked environments really resonate with me.

In my INFO 233 class (the other course I am taking this semester), we are currently discussing policy statements, and some of it is dry and traditional, but there are so many innovative and progressive ideas that can better meet the needs of students and staff using the school library, and even other members of the community! Reading Christie’s post Reflection: The Hyperlinked School Library, I found myself nodding over and over. Yes! This idea of “reinventing” the school library is exactly what I want to implement in my future workplace. And involving the community is one exciting possible way to do so.

I loved the concept of idea boxes. Oh, and the article Adulting 101? So often in my career as a math teacher I have heard students (and parents!) complain that they will never use the concepts that I teach in class (which I have to admit is often true, if I consider the specific mathematical skills themselves and not the overarching skills of problem solving, use of precision, deductive reasoning, et cetera). And I have to admit that there are many life skills that are no longer taught in any classes at most high schools! Why not have the school library host sessions where students (and staff and even parents!) can learn how to sew, do their taxes, or change the oil in their car? Libraries, after all, are about learning. Not just books.

Ford, A. (2018). Adulting 101. american libraries. Retrieved from https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/2018/05/01/adulting-101-library-programming/

One thought on “Reflection on Hyperlinked Environments

1. @kristin It’s super cool you linked to @christiemhwang post!

What an engaging idea about opening the school library for Adulting 101 style classes. My first thought was: Buy in! If parents see the library, what’s avail;ble, etc they may start to feel connection (ownership?) of what is possible in the space.