Introduction

Hello all! My name is Kristin. I live in Elk Grove, just south of Sacramento, California, where I’m currently teaching high school math. This is my sixth year teaching, and while I love the classroom and mathematics, my plan is to eventually transition to the library. If all goes as planned, after next semester I’ll have finished both my MLIS and Teacher Librarian Credential.

I wanted to take this course because I think that I have a lot to learn about how libraries can most effectively harness the power of technology to best help (in my case) students. It honestly sounds like such a fun topic, so I am really looking forward to the class.

A few other random things about me:

• I’m really into fandom life, and this semester in particular I’ll be freaking out about Star Wars a lot in anticipation of The Rise of Skywalker in a few short months.
  • I love to travel. This past summer I went on a month-long road trip that pretty much followed the path of the Mississippi, and then another (significantly shorter) trip with my mom and sister to Disneyland to experience the new Star Wars land. It was a fun summer!
  • I am a night owl, which is unfortunate for my first period class since I’m always half-brainless but also means I’ll usually post in the evenings or middle of the night.
  • I hate cake, but love pi(e).

6 thoughts on “Introduction

• I am right there beside you both, especially after seeing the most recent trailer, I am super excited about the new Star Wars movie. I am most jealous that you have been to Disney’s Star Wars land, I cannot wait to go there.

• Oh, the new Star Wars land was very cool! As always, Disney did an excellent job making the experience totally immersive. Just walking and looking around is such fun. And while expensive, the “blue milk” they sell there is quite good!

• Thanks for the welcome! I honestly had not expected much of Rogue One, but they did an excellent job with it and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would! I have heard of Twin Peaks (the tv show, right?), but have not seen it.

1. Hi Kristin,

First of all, I just adore how you have designed your blog!
    I also want to say congratulations on nearing the end of the program both for your MLIS and your teaching credentials. That must be a rewarding feeling!

Yes! I’m a huge part of the fandom culture as well! Would it be too much to ask what fandoms you are a part of?

Disney has been working super hard as of late so I’m excited for what else they’ll come up with next.

Traveling is a wonderful pasttime! Are there any bucket list locations you’d love to go to or have gone to already? Also yes! I haven’t been to Disneyland since probably the late 90s according to what my mother said since I was super young, probably too young to even remember. It sounds like they’ve added amazing things so I’ll need to make a revisit trip soon.

I’m weird as in I can be either a early bird (not willingly though) or a night owl. But either way, I’m totally out of it during the day similarly to your experiences. I just hate getting out of my house really.

Yes! A fellow pie fan! It’s one of my favorite American desserts! I’m a sucker for the classic apple if I had to choose one. Any you recommend I try?

• Thank you! I have a fondness for chalkboards; I had some math professors in college that still preferred them. It was great. And thanks! I am very excited about finishing!

Oh, of course not! I’m very open with my love of fandom life. My students are all very aware since my classroom walls are covered with posters from Harry Potter, Star Wars, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Veronica Mars, The Hunger Games, etc. (One of my TAs a few years ago called it my “tumblr wall.”) As of late, I would say I’m most active in the Harry Potter, Star Wars, and Avatar: The Last Airbender fandoms.

Oh yes! One of my bucket list items is to go to all 50 states. After traveling this summer, I only have one more state left to visit! I also want to go to New Zealand (ever since learning that The Lord of the Rings was filmed there). This January I’m planning a trip to New Zealand for a couple of weeks, with an extended layover in Hawaii, so I’ll be marking both of those off my list next year!

Oh, apple is a classic for a reason. I like my apple as a caramel apple with a Dutch crust topping. But my favorite type of pie is coconut cream, though I have also never met a chocolate cream pie that I could say no to!