A Brief Introduction

Hi, all!

My name is Eleanor Hill, and I live in Humboldt County—a rural area along the coast of California, about five hours north of San Francisco. Currently, I’m a full-time student in the MLIS program and a part-time library intern at my beloved alma mater, Humboldt State University. I received my Bachelor of Arts in English: Teaching the Language Arts—with the intentions of teaching at the secondary level—but quickly realized after a day of classroom observations that it wasn’t my calling. To make a long story short, I’m beyond thankful to be a graduate student at SJSU and am eager to facilitate the learning of students and contribute to the field of higher education as a soon-to-be academic librarian.

Outside of academia, I enjoy—much like Dr. Stephens—forest bathing in the redwoods, spending quality time with loved ones, listening to (and sometimes attempting to mix!) techno, and traveling whenever possible.

Best of wishes to everyone, and I look forward to learning with you all this semester.

Standard

6 thoughts on “A Brief Introduction

1. My first major in college was flute performance, so I love music. I also like to collage and thought that mixing would be a lot like that. It sounds fun! (I also like–need–forest bathing and wish I could do it more often.)

• Hi, Jenell!

I’m thrilled to have another music-lover in the class! What a rad major–I can’t imagine how much fun that must’ve been! You’ve also totally inspired me to make a collage in the near future. And, please, try to squeeze in some forest bathing time–you won’t regret it!

Best,
      Eleanor

2. I’ve never been forest bathing but it sounds equally relaxing and terrifying, haha. On one hand “bathing” in the sights, sounds, scent, and feel of nature seems ideal, but on the other hand forests are 100% cursed bad places in every horror film.

• Hi, Lain!

I hope that you will eventually feel comfortable enough to experience forest bathing. Try to think of Studio Ghibli instead of horror movies next time you’re in a forest!

Best,
      Eleanor

• Thank you for the warm welcome to SJSU and #hyperlib, @michael! Also, your snowy walk sounds beyond magical! Even though you were walking in the morning, I can’t help but think of Robert Frost’s “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”, which is one of my favorite poems from my undergraduate studies. I have some family back east in Michigan, so maybe I’ll be able to take a snowy, woodsy stroll sometime in the future. Thank you for sharing!